Good

• United States
    United States

Posted 10 January 2015 - 06:21 PM

(ADDED/Charles.C - this topic split from -

http://www.ifsqn.com...ons/#entry83319

)

Charles -

Regarding your comment about American English - as a former British colony, the US has made it a point of pride to correct some British English misspellings, i.e., 'grey' is more properly 'gray' and 'colour' has dropped the extra vowel to be 'color'. Then there is that goofy term 'building fabric', more appropriately 'building materials'. :roflmao:

KTD

(BTW - thanks for the briefing)

Edited by Charles.C, 13 January 2015 - 12:53 AM.
(split topic)

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5666 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 11 January 2015 - 01:36 AM

Dear KTD,

Weekend OT

Thanks for that. :lol2:

Indeed, I guess that "tea" has only survived thanks to Pride (again!) and Sport.

Actually I am relatively unconcerned by mis-spellings (I even use some of them) but my real bugbear is mispronounciations. I wince every time I hear the 4-legged capital of Russia on CNN and similar references to Motorway 66, whatever. And as for American French, eg boodah.

However, I did a little netting after writing the above and the 2 lengthy, and occasionally hilarious, threads below on mispronunciation convinced me that some tolerance is necessary/vital. The first link is 50/50 Brit-American contributed and is interesting to compare to the second one (same site) which seems mainly driven by Americans dissecting their own lingo. Same differences ??

http://boards.straig...p/t-487079.html

http://boards.straig...p/t-378027.html

Rgds / Charles.C

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

KTD

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 264 posts
  • 95 thanks
Good

• United States
    United States

Posted 11 January 2015 - 03:31 AM

Charles -

You have ENTIRELY too much time on your hands! :biggrin:

My sister is an (American) English teacher here in the US, so i just pronounce and spell as she instructs me...

KTD

trubertq

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 658 posts
  • 281 thanks
Excellent

• Ireland
    Ireland

Posted 11 January 2015 - 06:07 PM

Why is grey more properly gray? 

need an explanation, references and peer review please.  :giggle:

I'm entitled to my opinion, even a stopped clock is right twice a day

fgjuadi

Grade - PIFSQN

• Banned
  • 898 posts
  • 203 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 12 January 2015 - 11:35 AM

As long as we're veering completely OT :off_topic: ,

Clearly they're using American English because it's better.  Because it's American, which is the best.  We saw your language and we were all "We don't want anyone confusing our rebellious bada** selves with those freedom hating oppressors, and we sure don't wanna talk like 'um, this would be a better way to say things."  BRC is probably trying to nonchalantly  distance themselves from your empire, and you had to go and notice, and then call um out on it. 

On gray vs grey :

One time I found my lover in our bed with a woman with the last name of Gray.  When I pulled back the covers to smash her head into the bed post, I saw that she had an extra nipple...smack in the middle of her flabby, dowdy gut.  For our color coding scheme trash is gray.  But I wouldn't mind reading it as "grey" from now on. 

What's the difference between an elephant and Ms Gray?   Nothing, except an elephant smells better and only has two nipples. 

Edited by magenta_majors, 12 January 2015 - 11:37 AM.

.--. .- -. - ... / --- .--. - .. --- -. .- .-..

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5666 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 12 January 2015 - 12:54 PM

Dear Magenta_m,

TBH, I only added the AE bit in case someone actually did have a preference (I guessed any included adverts might be targeted), no particular umbrages involved, before or after (winces don't count). :smile:

Rgds / Charles.C

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

fgjuadi

Grade - PIFSQN

• Banned
  • 898 posts
  • 203 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 12 January 2015 - 01:49 PM

Dear Magenta_m,

TBH, I only added the AE bit in case someone actually did have a preference (I guessed any included adverts might be targeted), no particular umbrages involved, before or after (winces don't count). :smile:

Rgds / Charles.C

Yes, I suppose I should actually look at the new version before commenting :roflmao:

I maintain that American is best, because that's what Americans do.  Also I needed an excuse to use the elephant joke.

Edited by magenta_majors, 12 January 2015 - 02:36 PM.

cazyncymru

Grade - FIFSQN

• Banned
  • 1,604 posts
  • 341 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 12 January 2015 - 02:12 PM

Well considering English is a bastard language, made up of bits of everything else!

Mind you, I suppose it won't stop us from watching "50 shades of Grey / Gray" !!

MWidra

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 778 posts
  • 314 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:My Dogs (Beagles),Gardening, SciFi, Video Games (WoW, D3, HoS, PvZ), Classical Music, Legal Stuff, Science Stuff. I'm a Geeky Nerd.

Posted 12 January 2015 - 03:51 PM

Simon, you had to herd a topic this time.  Good job.

Thanks for being a kind and attentive moderator.

Martha

"...everything can be taken from a man but one thing:  the last of the human freedoms--to choose one's attitude in any given set of circumstances, to choose one's own way."  Viktor E. Frankl

"Life's like a movie, write your own ending."  The Muppets

RG3

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 501 posts
  • 169 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:"We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them" Albert Einstein

Posted 12 January 2015 - 04:39 PM

As long as we're veering completely OT :off_topic: ,

Clearly they're using American English because it's better.  Because it's American, which is the best.  We saw your language and we were all "We don't want anyone confusing our rebellious bada** selves with those freedom hating oppressors, and we sure don't wanna talk like 'um, this would be a better way to say things."  BRC is probably trying to nonchalantly  distance themselves from your empire, and you had to go and notice, and then call um out on it. 

On gray vs grey :

One time I found my lover in our bed with a woman with the last name of Gray.  When I pulled back the covers to smash her head into the bed post, I saw that she had an extra nipple...smack in the middle of her flabby, dowdy gut.  For our color coding scheme trash is gray.  But I wouldn't mind reading it as "grey" from now on. 

What's the difference between an elephant and Ms Gray?   Nothing, except an elephant smells better and only has two nipples. 

And yet another edit from Magenta_majors

I can't even imagine what had to be edited from this :eek_yello:

Simon

IFSQN...it's My Life

• IFSQN Admin
  • 12,841 posts
  • 1365 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:Married to Michelle, Father of three boys (Oliver, Jacob and Louis). I enjoy cycling, walking and travelling, watching sport, especially football and Manchester United. Oh and I love food and beer and wine.

Posted 12 January 2015 - 04:57 PM

Simon, you had to herd a topic this time.  Good job.

Thanks for being a kind and attentive moderator.

Martha

Sorry have I done something good Martha? :smile:

Get FREE bitesize education with IFSQN webinar recordings.

Download this handy excel for desktop access to over 180 Food Safety Friday's webinar recordings.
https://www.ifsqn.com/fsf/Free%20Food%20Safety%20Videos.xlsx

Check out IFSQN’s extensive library of FREE food safety videos
https://www.ifsqn.com/food_safety_videos.html

fgjuadi

Grade - PIFSQN

• Banned
  • 898 posts
  • 203 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 12 January 2015 - 05:00 PM

Sorry have I done something good Martha? :smile:

I can't speak for Martha, but of course,  the entire diversion was really us validating your admin abilities :sleazy:

We do our best to keep you on your toes :hypocrite:

it_rains_inside

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 341 posts
  • 99 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 12 January 2015 - 08:17 PM

On gray vs grey :

Three nipples...mmmm...  mhhhhmm.... Huh. Like Total Recall three nipples? :headhurts:  :uhm:  :eekout:

"Peace is the result of retraining your mind to process life as it is, rather than as you think it should be"

-Wayne W. Dyer

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users