S Maddux

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 40 posts
  • 13 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Hunting, Fishing, Hiking, Cycling, making beer and drinking good beer, family, friends and making every day count. "Good leadership isn't about advancing yourself. It's about advancing your team" -John C Maxwell

Posted 14 January 2015 - 07:01 PM

We have two plant about 11 miles apart.  We have an x-ray at plant #1.  At times we will x-ray, marinated and/or grind product at plant #1 and then send it to plant #2.  Attached you will find the beginning of a flow chart for plant #2.  Again we do not x-ray at plant #2.  So can we keep the flow chart the way it is or do I need to take out the x-ray since there is not x-ray at plant #2.  If I take out the x-ray I'm thinking I need to add to the RECEIVE raw ingredients box and add RECEIVE Raw ingredient, marinated and ground meat.  The problem is it doesn't show that the marinated and ground product was x-rayed.  For some reason I'm thinking if it isn't at plant #2 it can't be on the flow chart.  I hope I have given enough info.  Thanks for the help. 

Attached Files

RG3

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 501 posts
  • 169 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:"We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them" Albert Einstein

Posted 14 January 2015 - 07:20 PM

If it doesn't happen at the plant it shouldn't be on your flow chart at the plant. They're essentially two separate plants. Take a step back and don't look at it as if they are both your plants. If I receive a raw ingredient from a plant that does sifting, I would not put sifting on my flow chart. I don't mitigate that process at that plant. However you do mitigate the risk by having a supplier approval program that shows there is a CCP at that plant because there is an X-ray. As for adding a RECEIVE raw ingredients box and add RECEIVE Raw ingredient, marinated and ground meat you already have a box for that. You would only need to call out marinated and ground meat on your hazard analysis. Hope this helps.

Thanked by 1 Member:

Madam A. D-tor

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 644 posts
  • 230 thanks
Excellent

• Netherlands
    Netherlands
  • Interests:meat, meat products, ready to eat, food safety, QMS, audits, hazard analyses, IFS, BRC, SQF, HACCP, ISO 9001, ISO 22000

Posted 14 January 2015 - 08:28 PM

Subcontracted processes need to be included in your product flow diagram.

Make It clear that this is conducted by another site/company.

E.g. by adding the transport steps. or just indicate that is outsourced.

You should also include subcontracted processes in your HACCP study.

@RG3 you are right not to include sifting if you are buying sifted meal as raw material. However in this case products are received and perhaps processed (grinded?) in plant 2 and then send to plant 1 for Xray this should be included in the process flow.

Even if raw materials are sourced and than from supplier directly send to service supplier to be X-rayed there, this is a subcontracted process and need to be included both in process/product flow and in HACCP study.

Kind Regards,

Madam A. D-tor

Thanked by 1 Member:

S Maddux

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 40 posts
  • 13 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Hunting, Fishing, Hiking, Cycling, making beer and drinking good beer, family, friends and making every day count. "Good leadership isn't about advancing yourself. It's about advancing your team" -John C Maxwell

Posted 15 January 2015 - 05:07 PM

Thank you both for you reply's.  I knew what I needed to do and you both just proved it had to be done.  Sometimes we think our plants are 1 big plant when in fact they are two separate plants.  Thanks again. 

EHam

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Associate
  • 13 posts
  • 1 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 21 January 2015 - 05:43 PM

We also have two facilities very close to one another. They are literally separated by a street. How easy it is for everyone to consider them as one and not fully understand the meaning of two establishment numbers. I feel your pain S Maddux! :doh:

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users