• Quick Navigation
Photo

Best way to clean oil (food) spills in otherwise dry environment?

Share this

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

MmeMuffin

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 32 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 23 January 2015 - 05:28 PM

Hi all, I'm wondering if anyone has experience using and would suggest any oil absorbing pads or sweeping compounds that are effective at spilling food oil spills (the oil is technically camelina oil, but I know many don't know of it so just think vegetable/olive oil)? 

We do a small amount of bottling/ packaging into 16 oz plastic and glass bottles, as well as 5 gallon pails, in a room with smooth concrete floors (read: slippery when wet) . The rest of the plant is all dry processes, and I am definitely leaning towards pads (so we don't have to worry about sweeping compounds creating a dust) in the event of a spill. I am hoping for recommendations, since the companies we use that sell these require a fairly large order and I don't want to waste a bunch of money ordering 100+ pads and later find out they aren't quite good enough for the job. 

It has yet to happen in 7 years of production, but when I asked my production manager how we would clean the oil if it DID spill- I got a very blank look, and then "we just don't spill it?" .  :rofl2: 

Then with these pads, I imagine there will probably be a small film left on the floor-- suggestions for how to deal with this? Definitely don't want to deal with anyone slipping on oil residue and hurting themselves.

Thanks in advance :)

mgourley

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,412 posts
  • 999 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Cooking, golf, firearms, food safety and sanitation.

Posted 23 January 2015 - 05:51 PM

New Pig carries a large assortment of absorbent pads, dams, spreadables, etc. 

No minimum order required.

As far as the residual oil, a mop and bucket with a suitable degreaser should be sufficient.

Marshall

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users