• IFSQN Associate
  • 27 posts
  • 1 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 29 January 2015 - 03:40 PM

In need of creative solutions...

Gearing up for our SQF certification audit (Level 2) and dealing with the metal detector reject system, or lack thereof. SQF requires that any food that passes through a foreign material detector and has foreign material detected must be isolated by the detector equipment. For background, our line moves slowly and may have 5" up to 16" pieces moving through it.

It has been three months since first bringing this up with Engineering and they have yet to act. Does anyone know of an alternative to the typical paddle/air nozzel/retractable belt into a "REJECT" box that only trained CCP monitors can access? I was imagining a spray nozzel with dentaurant dye that could spray on a timer. Our packaging line is very manual so about 5 sets of hands would physically touch that product before it could be put in a finished package.

Shoot me down or provide ideas! I appreciate!

Snookie

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,625 posts
  • 267 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 29 January 2015 - 05:08 PM

What an interesting idea!  I am don't know if it would be accepted or not, my shoot from the hip answer is not as the goal is to get it off the line without human beings involved.  This would mark the package but an inattentive person could still box it if you will.  But it is very creative thinking and I could be wrong.  Can't wait to see what others say. 

Posted Image
Live Long & Prosper

Jeffrey Ort

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 54 posts
  • 14 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 08 February 2015 - 10:36 PM

Interesting issue -
Key is isolation - not attainable by your description
If you use a dye to stain the packaging, what would happen with a clog in the nozzle or lack of ink/dye.
Just like a reject system it needs to be verified and then validated as working system.
Do you think you can defend this?
If you add a strobe light or alarm to alert all in the room, it may help as all will be aware.

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users