Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 74 posts
  • 10 thanks
Neutral

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 06 February 2015 - 11:12 AM

How does everyone deal with the contents of employee personal lockers with regard to aerosols of deodorants?

As a Technical Dept we see this as a food safety risk - possibility that a disgruntled employee could  take a spay can into production and cause contamination.

Our staff are saying that at the end of their shifts they like to freshen up before leaving and some are keeping cans in their lockers for this purpose.

Any advice on how we an go about giving them the right information so that we are not acting like dictators, keeping our staff happy without compromising Food Safety.

What policies do you use?   Has anyone ever had a problem form an auditor on this issue?

cazyncymru

Grade - FIFSQN

• Banned
  • 1,604 posts
  • 341 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 06 February 2015 - 11:29 AM

Were I am is that the personal lockers are for staff to hold personal belongings. That can be mobile phones, cigarettes, handbags etc

The only think I ban from them are (anything in) glass and food.

If a disgruntled staff member wants to contaminate food, I'm sure they can find a million other things (if you've taken away their deodorant!)

Caz x

Setanta

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,610 posts
  • 371 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Reading: historical fiction, fantasy, Sci-Fi
    Movies
    Gardening
    Birding

Posted 06 February 2015 - 12:48 PM

Would they be successful in their attempt to go back on to the production floor and spray the product with deodorant? Would someone stop them, or at least report it?

I suppose you could do a risk assessment on what harm deodorant could do. I am not seeing the threat, BUT that doesn't mean there isn't one. It would still have to be unscented deo, since conceivably the fumes might get on a production worker.

-Setanta         

fgjuadi

Grade - PIFSQN

• Banned
  • 898 posts
  • 203 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 06 February 2015 - 03:44 PM

Our product is odor absorbent and I want our employees to follow hygiene rules.

Deodorant for everyone.

We have both personal lockers (in the break room, for personal items) and uniform lockers (in the gowning area, for clean work items), but I don't have a problem with hygiene products.   I also also mouthwash and toothbrushes.

.--. .- -. - ... / --- .--. - .. --- -. .- .-..

Kelly S

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 96 posts
  • 36 thanks
Good

• Australia
    Australia
  • Interests:Sci Fi Geek, Book Lover, Chef-in-my-own-kitchen, Eclectic Music Collector

Posted 11 February 2015 - 10:02 PM

The only items I have ever banned from a personal locker is food stuffs and that's purely due to potential pest reasons. I agree with Caz, there are some many other ways to tamper with food. I really don't think this is any kind of an issue.

“Will this be on the test?" "Yeah, about the test. The test will measure whether you are an informed, engaged, and productive citizen of the world, and it will take place in schools and bars and hospitals and dorm rooms and in places of worship. You will be tested on first dates, in job interviews, while watching football, and while scrolling through your Twitter feed. The test will judge your ability to think about things other than celebrity marriages, whether you’ll be easily persuaded by empty political rhetoric, and whether you’ll be able to place your life and your community in a broader context. The test will last your entire life, and it will be comprised of the millions of decisions, that when taken together, make your life yours. And everything — EVERYTHING — will be on it.”

-  John Green

Snookie

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,625 posts
  • 267 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 11 February 2015 - 10:38 PM

Our environment is hot and I can understand the need to freshen up after work.  They can keep their lunch in the locker during the day but at end of shift there can't be any foodstuffs or drinks in the lockers.  They are also required to be empty at end of week for them all to be washed out. 

Posted Image
Live Long & Prosper

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users