• IFSQN Member
  • 78 posts
  • 3 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 10 February 2015 - 09:12 PM

HI Everyone, 

I am currently trying to put together a risk assessment for a distribution center for their supplier approval program.  

Many of their suppliers supply us with specialty items and a lot of different ingredients that i've never dealt with before. Things such as duck confit, foie gras, cured meats, etc. 

Does anyone have any reference documents they can recommend that may help with this?

Thank you

Weebus

MWidra

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 778 posts
  • 314 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:My Dogs (Beagles),Gardening, SciFi, Video Games (WoW, D3, HoS, PvZ), Classical Music, Legal Stuff, Science Stuff. I'm a Geeky Nerd.

Posted 10 February 2015 - 09:59 PM

HI Everyone, 

I am currently trying to put together a risk assessment for a distribution center for their supplier approval program.  

Many of their suppliers supply us with specialty items and a lot of different ingredients that i've never dealt with before. Things such as duck confit, foie gras, cured meats, etc. 

Does anyone have any reference documents they can recommend that may help with this?

Thank you

Weebus

To see what I could get, I did a Google search for duck confit USDA and found a news article on an attorney's web site about a recall of the duck and also some smoked sausages in 2009.  Searching past news for your product types (not a specific supplier) could tell you what hazards have been seen in the past in them.  http://www.yourlawye...ausage-products

On the USDA's web site is a page with some of their risk assessments and guidelines http://www.fsis.usda...isk-assessments that might help you.

And here is a page on the CDC for past recalls for sausage.  http://www.cdc.gov/s...00&wc_mc=1&ud=1

Hope that helps.

Martha

Edited by MWidra, 10 February 2015 - 10:02 PM.

"...everything can be taken from a man but one thing:  the last of the human freedoms--to choose one's attitude in any given set of circumstances, to choose one's own way."  Viktor E. Frankl

"Life's like a movie, write your own ending."  The Muppets

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5665 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 11 February 2015 - 08:56 PM

Dear Weebus,

As usual it (process-wise) depends, eg

http://www.ifsqn.com...indpost&p=82639

(et seq.)

Rgds / Charles.C

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

manju.saffron

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 3 posts
  • 1 thanks
Neutral

• India
    India

Posted 12 February 2015 - 04:14 AM

HI Everyone, 

Thank you

Weebus

Hi,

As a distribution centre you would need to look at your process first. Which part are you handling like, is it only storage or distribution or you are adding any process to the products being handled.

Risk assessment will depend on the same.

As you said you are handling N no. of products it is difficult for you but once you look at what are your responsibilities as a company, it will be easy for you.

If it is only storage and distribution then you should not worry about many items as all are getting stored and distributed. Except if those are stored in frozen or chilled or at ambient temperatures.

You should carry out the assessment for your process so that there is no risk of cross contaminantion or introduction of hazards while the product is under your custody. The only way it can happen is  through loss of control of temperature, humidity, FEFO etc.

Just find out the critical point in your process whether it is temperature, humidity of the storage or assuring that no primary packaging is damage or labeling requirements, no expiry products etc.

I have handled a distribution centre for company doing business with mcdonalds. All this is based on my past experience. I hope it will help you.

MNS

Thanked by 1 Member:

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users