• IFSQN Member
  • 78 posts
  • 3 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 13 February 2015 - 07:12 PM

Hi Everyone, 

I've been faced with a few issues regarding organic processing.

If a product is purchased in bulk from a manufacturer who is certifying their product as "organic", and then a processor takes the bulk product and repacks it into small containers, should the processor who repacks the item become certified organic, or is it possible to have a designated room with designated utensils, chemicals, procedures, etc for this area and not have to go through the entire organic certification?

Thanks

Weebus

it_rains_inside

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 341 posts
  • 98 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 13 February 2015 - 07:27 PM

Hello Weebus,

We have a similar situation - kind of. We are a co-man for an organic company. They source only organic goods, and are responsible for the supplier aspect of it, the customer holds the organic certification, however QAI (the organic certifier of choice) audits our facility on behalf of the customer to ensure that the identity is preserved throughout the entire process. This is mandatory for them to obtain the certification

I would think that this type of situation would fit for you also. You would be responsible for the facility, and gmp parts of the audit, also a mass-balance is conducted on site. But like you, we just have designated storage areas and programs in place to ensure identity is preserved while in the facility. (Pest control is a big one because the type of devices and chemicals used is usually where company's fall short)

Hope this helps!

"Peace is the result of retraining your mind to process life as it is, rather than as you think it should be"

-Wayne W. Dyer

Thanked by 1 Member:

Weebus90

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 78 posts
  • 3 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 13 February 2015 - 07:44 PM

This is a huge help!

Thank you so much for this information.

Weebus

RG3

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 501 posts
  • 169 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:"We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them" Albert Einstein

Posted 13 February 2015 - 08:19 PM

I concur, it's a chain of custody type of audit/certification that needs to be done. I would say something similar to that of MSC or ASC in the seafood industry.

sqflady

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 250 posts
  • 63 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 19 February 2015 - 02:52 PM

Hello!  We have a similar operation here and are certified through MOSA.  We are certified as a "Food Handler".

Thanked by 1 Member:

Anne Z

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 86 posts
  • 14 thanks
Neutral

• Netherlands
    Netherlands

Posted 19 February 2015 - 03:01 PM

Hi,

Even a service provider needs to be organic certified (be aware different countries different organic certifications). At my company we fill oil / fat into an IBC or drum. We don't own the product, we just provide the service. However we need to make sure the product is organic and more importantly stays organic. Operators need to check if the tankcar they receive is indeed organic. If a product that isn’t organic becomes organic in your factory it will be an official crime. So you want to make sure all the documents are in order.

Please let me know if you need any further information.

Anne

Thanked by 1 Member:

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users