Grade - Active

• IFSQN Associate
  • 23 posts
  • 6 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 19 March 2015 - 08:35 PM

During  a recent plant inspection of our maintenance shop I noticed an ingredient listed on the hand soap as shell scrubbers-this is attached.

I am aware walnut shells are used in some hand cleaners, but I am not familiar with the term "shell scrubbers".

If this ingredient is in fact derived from walnut shells we may decide to remove it from use to avoid any allergen hazards which would be unfortunate because it is a very effective cleaner.

I have searched for data on this product and found no technical information. 

Can anyone provide more information on what this "shell scrubber" substance may be?

Thanks

Craig L

Attached File  IMG_1548.JPG   54.47KB   2 downloads,

xylough

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 149 posts
  • 154 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:"Foodie" stuff, dogs, family, horticulture, natural sciences

Posted 19 March 2015 - 08:51 PM

You can get an address and phone number from the header of an MSDS by searching "Woodbine MSDS". An MSDS from any of their products will give you a phone number to call and ask.

Regards

Thanked by 2 Members:

tezza07

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 41 posts
  • 9 thanks
Neutral

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 03 March 2017 - 03:49 PM

Not sure what shell scrubbers is, but in the ingredients list it contains "soy oil" so wouldn't this be an allergen source anyways?

Thanked by 1 Member:

tezza07

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 41 posts
  • 9 thanks
Neutral

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 03 March 2017 - 04:00 PM

Actually since I came to the forum to ask a related question, I will just ask it here so we can all benefit:

The scrubber that we currently use does have walnut shells present in it. I've been searching for a good alternative online and can find no information on it. Does anyone here know of a good substitute?

Was also wondering - if we allow the use of the scrub, but then they have to follow with washing with our standard hand soap, would that mitigate the allergen risk?

SQFconsultant

SQFconsultant

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 4,632 posts
  • 1135 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Just when I thought I was out - They pulled me back in!!!

Posted 24 March 2017 - 06:18 AM

The term "shell scrubber" as an ingredient refers to what is known as purified walnut shell which is normally in a powdered form.  

As to an allergen as someone mentioned - if it were only the powdered purified shell material (that acts as a deep cleanser for hands) this would not be an issue; however if any protein is present in the process then a nut allergen reaction could occur and  I have heard that the powdered shell can be an irritant to the skin.

However, it sure does make for a great deep cleansing of the hands.

I think your idea to remove it from use is quite valid.

All the Best,

All Rights Reserved,

Without Prejudice,

Glenn Oster.

Glenn Oster Consulting, LLC -

SQF System Development | Internal Auditor Training | eConsultant

Martha's Vineyard Island, MA - Restored Republic

http://www.GCEMVI.XYZ

http://www.GlennOster.com

Thanked by 1 Member:

StellaTan

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 2 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 11 August 2017 - 09:00 AM

" Not sure what shell scrubbers is, but in the ingredients list it contains "soy oil" so wouldn't this be an allergen source anyways? "

According to FDA, highly refined oil does not contain allergen. 

Yet, I am not sure if the chemical manufacturer use highly refined soy oil to make the hand soap.

liberator

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 113 posts
  • 43 thanks
Excellent

• Australia
    Australia
  • Interests:Sci-Fi - Movies/TV
    Model Kit Building
    Gardening
    Home Renovations
    Riding my Motorcycle

Posted 19 February 2019 - 10:42 PM

I understand that this is an old post - but we have just come across this issue as well following on from a recent site audit. The liquid hand soap used by maintenance contains an abrasive material which is a powdered walnut shell. The species is identified as being Juglans Regia. (English Walnut)

I believe that this abrasive is just the shell which has been pulverised/milled into a powder form and is not the nut flesh. The product is being sold as "all natural" and is being manufactured by a reputable chemical/detergent company. There are no warnings on the product for allergen and that it contains "tree nuts". 

I read of a man who died after being exposed to powdered walnut shell that was being used as an abrasive in sandblasting. This indicates to me that the walnut shell if not processed appropriately is hazardous to those who are allergic to walnuts. You would think that powdered walnut shell should not be permissible to use in a  product that is used for direct skin contact as the risk may be too high and that there should be warnings on the labels of this product.

I'm trying to get more information from the manufacturer - but it looks like we'll also be removing this hand cleaner from our factory - for the health and well being of our maintenance crew and remove the potential for cross contamination of our food products.

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users