• IFSQN Senior
  • 412 posts
  • 85 thanks
Excellent

• Germany
    Germany

Posted 28 March 2015 - 10:55 AM

Hi,

we are a german bakery company and are going to sell gluten free and non GM products in the US.

We want to receive GIG-label for gluten-free and nonGMproject label to nonGM. We are producing products in Europe and export to the US/CA.

I know the requirements to be fulfilled, but I have no idea how the certification runs in practice. I would prefer to have a certification body in Europe, perferred in Germany. There are some special questions to be answered, e.g. what is the acceptance of EU-organic in the states if we are using EU-organic certified ingredients (milk and/or egg products) to fulfill the feeding requirements for non GM. etc.

Does anybody has experience ?

Thanks for your response

Rgds

moskito

xylough

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 149 posts
  • 154 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:"Foodie" stuff, dogs, family, horticulture, natural sciences

Posted 29 March 2015 - 04:11 PM

Hi Moskito,

"what is the acceptance of EU-organic in the states if we are using EU-organic certified ingredients (milk and/or egg products) to fulfill the feeding requirements for non GM. etc."

I am not sure I fully understand all of your questions, but have yet to see a European organic certified product under the EU-US organic equivalency program.  IMO here in CA, because of the  extra cost of organic certified products, organic consumers tend to be wealthier and more educated. The same people who are committed to purchasing organic certified are also concerned that products be humane certified and locally sourced. Because of their education they understand that organic certification requires the use of non-GMO agricultural products already..

eu_us_organic_equivalence_.jpg

Consumers will be familiar with the "USDA Organic" logo, but this equivalency program only started in 2012 and the familiarity may require more time to catch on.

I have never gone through a gluten-free certification. Legally (FDA), the only requirement to have a "gluten-free" label claim is that the product has tested less than 20 PPM for gluten.

As for "gluten-free" certification, the attached articles offer some minor comparison and contrast between the 3 main certifications used in the US, including the one you reference, GIG.

IMO people who believe that they are negatively affected by gluten may be more inclined to seek out a certified product.

Attached Files

moskito

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 412 posts
  • 85 thanks
Excellent

• Germany
    Germany

Posted 02 April 2015 - 07:32 AM

Hi xylough,

thank you for your response.

For me the general principles are clear.

There are two main questions:

- Are there European bodies for certification of both - GiG and nonGMproject? Does somebody in Europe has experience in getting the certificates?

- What are the limits for GM-free? 0,1% contamination in each ingredient? What is the position to enzymes in any prestage of an ingrendient, e.g. starch derived products e.g. amylases if the wheat is GM-free? What are the requirements in detail for feed used for animal derived ingredients like egg- and milk-products?

Rgds

moskito

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5662 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 02 April 2015 - 08:37 AM

For unknowing people like myself, according to Google  -

GIG = Gluten Intolerance Group of N.America

https://www.gluten.org/

@moskito - from the above link -

GFCO certifies companies and manufacturers in 27 countries using the strictest standards for certification at 10 ppm or less.

(GFCO appears to be the Certification Organisation used (run?) by GIG)

http://www.gfco.org/...-get-certified/

http://www.gfco.org/...fied/locations/

(includes Germany)

PS - the acronyms are in fact deducible from the attachments in post 2 which I have just opened :doh: (thks xylough)

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

Thanked by 1 Member:

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users