• IFSQN Active
  • 1 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 01 April 2015 - 09:40 PM

Hi,

I was recently asked to developed a plan for produce distribution and storage. I searched for regulations on www.usda.gov for information and there is none. Is there a written standard for warehousing and storage for produce? If there is any, can someone direct me to the right direction?

This all started when this particular establishment tried to expand to retailer such as Safeway, COSTCO, Walmart, ect.., They were asked if they have a HACCP Plan and 3rd party audit report.

Can anyone help?

Thanks.

T

xylough

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 149 posts
  • 154 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:"Foodie" stuff, dogs, family, horticulture, natural sciences

Posted 02 April 2015 - 02:58 AM

Produce is not going to be under the jurisdiction of the USDA, but rather it will be FDA. You might consider also that it will be subject to the new proposed produce rule of FSMA when that goes into effect. Search instead on the FDA website. FDA uses 21 CFR rather than the 9 CFR of USDA.

Research FSMA and the coming regulations (rule) for produce. You can also reverse engineer the requirements for produce from a GMP audit for produce warehouse and distribution. An audit(current) will encompass both industry standard practice and regulation.

There are rich resources on produce on YouTube e.g. RedLine and other companies that sell software for the produce industry offer amazing webinars that will bring you up to speed. Be aware that control of pathogens will be tantamount to success for the produce items with a history of recall for E. coli, Listeria m, hepatitis.....mushrooms, any kind of sprouts, cantaloupe, tomatoes and in the produce facility in general. Global GAP (good agricultural practice) may be a resource for your quest. Seek out the requirements from the retailers you referenced; the requirements in their audits will surpass what regulation requires.

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5664 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 02 April 2015 - 03:42 AM

Hi,

I was recently asked to developed a plan for produce distribution and storage. I searched for regulations on www.usda.gov for information and there is none. Is there a written standard for warehousing and storage for produce? If there is any, can someone direct me to the right direction?

This all started when this particular establishment tried to expand to retailer such as Safeway, COSTCO, Walmart, ect.., They were asked if they have a HACCP Plan and 3rd party audit report.

Can anyone help?

Thanks.

T

If you have any interest in (Private) Plans from a FS ++  POV, there are probably several via the well-known  issuers of FS  Standards,

For example -

http://www.brcglobal...px#.VRy5to6zdnI

There are also some model haccp plans for S&D on this forum.

There is also a forum here for the above Standard

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

xylough

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 149 posts
  • 154 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:"Foodie" stuff, dogs, family, horticulture, natural sciences

Posted 02 April 2015 - 04:46 AM

Since you referenced Walmart, I have attached a guidance document that details Walmart's expectations for produce suppliers. They require one of the Global Food Safety Initiative bench marked schemes like Charles has advised above e.g., BRC. This IFSQN site offers packages to ease the path to becoming certified in a variety of GFSI schemes. You can even download select sample documents from the various packages. Just use the search bar at the top left of the screen to easily find the package offerings.

Thanked by 1 Member:

KrissyFSCM

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 9 posts
  • 7 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 02 April 2015 - 06:49 PM

Hi T,

Fresh Produce Distribution and Storage is the business I am in as well.  We started with the cGMP's for Manufacturing, Packaging or Holding Human Food and slowly built our program to compliance with SQF L2 using the Food Sector Category 25, Fresh Produce Wholesaling and Distribution (Modules 2 and 12).   SQF L2 generally will put you in close compliance with FSMA but that is obviously a good resource as well.  Our HACCP plan is very basic.  No CCP's.  All of our produce follows the same process flow therefore, we only need one risk assessment and one HACCP flow.  Hopefully yours turns out to be just as simple!

I've included links to the cGMP's and SQF code. 

http://www.ecfr.gov/...21#sp21.2.110.a    cGMP's

http://www.sqfi.com/...Ed-7.2-July.pdf  SQF Code Edition 7.2

Thanked by 3 Members:

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users