Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 58 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 10 April 2015 - 03:25 PM

I understand that this is an incredibly broad topic, but... I am trying to complete a customer documentation request regarding EU regulations.  In general, can I assume that because our products meet FDA regulations that they also meet EU regulations?  Are there any glaring differences that I should be aware of?  We do have another customer in Europe, but they have dealt with all regulatory issues on their end so I don't have a full understanding of EU regulations.  We would be selling to them as an ingredient, so labeling regulations are not a concern here.  Thank you all for your time!  Any insights or resources are appreciated! 

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5666 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 10 April 2015 - 04:53 PM

Hi AJ,

You don't mention yr product so it's rather difficult to predict. A generic answer would be - a dangerous assumption.

Just as one famous / notorious example -

http://en.wikipedia....one_controversy

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

AJ1795

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 58 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 10 April 2015 - 06:15 PM

Hi AJ,

You don't mention yr product so it's rather difficult to predict. A generic answer would be - a dangerous assumption.

Just as one famous / notorious example -

http://en.wikipedia....one_controversy

Hi Charles,

Thanks for your reply.  I should have been more descriptive in my original post!  We manufacture a confectionery product, it's mostly just cane sugar and syrup, no animal products, no additives, no radiation, etc. so I couldn't think of anything that might be a problem outside of the US.  The only other thing I could think of is maybe the regulations for plastic packaging might differ between the US and the EU.

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5666 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 10 April 2015 - 06:49 PM

Hi Charles,

Thanks for your reply.  I should have been more descriptive in my original post!  We manufacture a confectionery product, it's mostly just cane sugar and syrup, no animal products, no additives, no radiation, etc. so I couldn't think of anything that might be a problem outside of the US.  The only other thing I could think of is maybe the regulations for plastic packaging might differ between the US and the EU.

Hi AJ,

TBH, after having worked with exported products (but not sugar related) to numerous places (inc. EC) and seen so many screw-ups at Customs, I would only dare to make one recommendation which has been  invariably followed by my Employers -

Pass the buck to whomsoever is going to be responsible for handling the importation details in EU.

IM(bitter)EXs, the specific first arrival destination may well have their own local Regulations in addition to the EC norms. In some cases, the requirements may seem scientifically incomprehensible  in the absence of local knowledge.

If you cannot pass the buck, i would ensure that a visible, wide-scoped, disclaimer is included. :smile:

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

Thanked by 1 Member:

Simon

IFSQN...it's My Life

• IFSQN Admin
  • 12,841 posts
  • 1365 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:Married to Michelle, Father of three boys (Oliver, Jacob and Louis). I enjoy cycling, walking and travelling, watching sport, especially football and Manchester United. Oh and I love food and beer and wine.

Posted 10 April 2015 - 07:51 PM

There are certainly some differences between EU and US food packaging regulations.

Check this webinar >>

And this more recent webinar >>

Get FREE bitesize education with IFSQN webinar recordings.

Download this handy excel for desktop access to over 180 Food Safety Friday's webinar recordings.
https://www.ifsqn.com/fsf/Free%20Food%20Safety%20Videos.xlsx

Check out IFSQN’s extensive library of FREE food safety videos
https://www.ifsqn.com/food_safety_videos.html

Thanked by 1 Member:

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users