• Quick Navigation
Photo

Vegetable oil properties after packaging it in HDPE container?

Share this

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

Satya Vavilapalli

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 70 posts
  • 5 thanks
Neutral

• India
    India

Posted 28 April 2015 - 02:23 PM

i have a doubt regarding properties of vegetable oil. will it go any crystallization or solidification, after packaging it in HDPE/any container ( due to the presence of moisture or combination of any moisture and gum type accumulation in oil some time after packaging? looking for answer and experiences from oil industry persons. Regards Satya

Regards

Satya

Satya Vavilapalli

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 70 posts
  • 5 thanks
Neutral

• India
    India

Posted 28 April 2015 - 03:32 PM

Please let me know if my question is off topic.... But my concern is if it crystalizes consumer may think of foreign materialised

Regards

Satya

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5665 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 29 April 2015 - 06:02 AM

i have a doubt regarding properties of vegetable oil. will it go any crystallization or solidification, after packaging it in HDPE/any container ( due to the presence of moisture or combination of any moisture and gum type accumulation in oil some time after packaging? looking for answer and experiences from oil industry persons. Regards Satya

Hi satyanarayana,

I assume this is a refined, edible, oil in food-grade packaging as sold retail.

i anticipate the textbook answer is it depends on the specifications / shelf life.

Even some refined oils go solid at reduced ambient temperatures as (apparently) per their melting points. i speak from bitter experience. :smile:

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

Satya Vavilapalli

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 70 posts
  • 5 thanks
Neutral

• India
    India

Posted 29 April 2015 - 07:52 AM

Absolutely Charles.C

It is refined, edible oil in food grade packaging only.

Is there any other reason apart from melting point?

Anyone have any research articles about it / faced this situation when product is kept in ambient temperature?

Regards

Satya

Regards

Satya

MWidra

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 778 posts
  • 314 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:My Dogs (Beagles),Gardening, SciFi, Video Games (WoW, D3, HoS, PvZ), Classical Music, Legal Stuff, Science Stuff. I'm a Geeky Nerd.

Posted 29 April 2015 - 10:49 AM

I have used many kinds of oils in laboratory work, and I have seldom if ever seen crystallization.  If there is water present, the water may form droplets within the oil because they are immiscible which will look like a contaminant.  Oils are routinely kept in all kinds of plastics, and I'd be more worried about the plastic becoming more soft over time (years, not days or months).  If there is water, and the bottle is shaken, you will see an emulsion, which looks cloudy, but that's not the same as crystals.  Just make sure that your bottles are totally dry.  HDPE is pretty heat tolarant, so you can put them into a very warm oven to drive off the water.

Unless you are seeing that in your product, then I would tend to not worry about it.

Martha

"...everything can be taken from a man but one thing:  the last of the human freedoms--to choose one's attitude in any given set of circumstances, to choose one's own way."  Viktor E. Frankl

"Life's like a movie, write your own ending."  The Muppets

Satya Vavilapalli

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 70 posts
  • 5 thanks
Neutral

• India
    India

Posted 29 April 2015 - 11:08 AM

Dear Charles,

One correction in my statement that here I am discussing about pure vegetable oil(i mean not about refined). Will it lead to any wax formation??

Regards

Satya

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5665 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 29 April 2015 - 11:25 AM

Dear Charles,

One correction in my statement that here I am discussing about pure vegetable oil(i mean not about refined). Will it lead to any wax formation??

I assume "pure" means "natural".

I imagine it may depend on the specific situation but possibly yes, have a look at - 

https://www.google.c...tents/US5482633

Attached File  2547PDF.pdf   273.23KB   24 downloads

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

Satya Vavilapalli

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 70 posts
  • 5 thanks
Neutral

• India
    India

Posted 29 April 2015 - 11:25 AM

Dear Martha

Is there any chance of formation of wax ? Have you ever had that in your experience?

Regards

Satya

MWidra

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 778 posts
  • 314 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:My Dogs (Beagles),Gardening, SciFi, Video Games (WoW, D3, HoS, PvZ), Classical Music, Legal Stuff, Science Stuff. I'm a Geeky Nerd.

Posted 29 April 2015 - 01:26 PM

Dear Martha

Is there any chance of formation of wax ? Have you ever had that in your experience?

No, I have never seen anything form in oils that were fairly fresh, though if you keep it long enough, any oil might polymerize more.  The oils (from various sources, both vegetable and 'mineral') that I have used have been in a very purified form.  So much of this is probably more dependent on the purity of your oil and not on the HDPE, which is your original question.  I think you should be looking at the purity of the oil that you are buying, your storage time and  temperatures, and any water contamination of your packaging before you consider that the HDPE is the sole cause of any problems that you see.

Only you know what the source of your oil is, and how crude or purified it is.  If you are seeing occasional wax formation, then I would have those batches analyzed to along with batches that did not form wax to see what could be the critical level of wax esters that you can tolerate.

And, I would consider consulting an organic chemist who is knowledgeable of vegetable oil wax chemistry to advise you.  You are moving into the realm of organic chemistry, which is a very complex subject.  If this is not a huge problem, then you have to do the cost effectiveness analysis.

Martha

"...everything can be taken from a man but one thing:  the last of the human freedoms--to choose one's attitude in any given set of circumstances, to choose one's own way."  Viktor E. Frankl

"Life's like a movie, write your own ending."  The Muppets

Satya Vavilapalli

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 70 posts
  • 5 thanks
Neutral

• India
    India

Posted 29 April 2015 - 03:18 PM

Charles,

I am going through the document you have attached, and please fix the issue with PDF(link is not working)

Regards

Satya

Satya Vavilapalli

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 70 posts
  • 5 thanks
Neutral

• India
    India

Posted 29 April 2015 - 03:22 PM

Yes Martha, I will look into oil quality first...it would be helpful if our forum can provide any info regarding wax chemistry...

Regards

Satya

Satya Vavilapalli

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 70 posts
  • 5 thanks
Neutral

• India
    India

Posted 30 April 2015 - 05:45 AM

Dear charles,