• IFSQN Associate
  • 13 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 06 May 2015 - 08:28 PM

Hi everyone!

I have a quick question regarding to SQF section 2.1.5 Customer Complaint Program. What does the customer complaint cover? is it only food safety related when raw material or final product is involved? OR also include all process from receiving to distribution? 

Please advise. I have a customer who only wants to log complaints related to health concern (harmful or injurious). 

Thanks!

Ana 

Kelly S

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 96 posts
  • 36 thanks
Good

• Australia
    Australia
  • Interests:Sci Fi Geek, Book Lover, Chef-in-my-own-kitchen, Eclectic Music Collector

Posted 06 May 2015 - 10:07 PM

I admit I'm not that familiar with SQF however IMO a Customer Complaints system should record all complaints received. You differentiate them by catergorising them e.g. major, minor, or by type and follow up accordingly. This will also help you cover part of your Continuous Improvement obligations. 

Not sure if this would help but this is the flowchart system I developed for a smaller company I worked with previously that was quite effective.

Attached Files

“Will this be on the test?" "Yeah, about the test. The test will measure whether you are an informed, engaged, and productive citizen of the world, and it will take place in schools and bars and hospitals and dorm rooms and in places of worship. You will be tested on first dates, in job interviews, while watching football, and while scrolling through your Twitter feed. The test will judge your ability to think about things other than celebrity marriages, whether you’ll be easily persuaded by empty political rhetoric, and whether you’ll be able to place your life and your community in a broader context. The test will last your entire life, and it will be comprised of the millions of decisions, that when taken together, make your life yours. And everything — EVERYTHING — will be on it.”

-  John Green

Thanked by 1 Member:

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5665 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 07 May 2015 - 06:15 AM

Hi everyone!

I have a quick question regarding to SQF section 2.1.5 Customer Complaint Program. What does the customer complaint cover? is it only food safety related when raw material or final product is involved? OR also include all process from receiving to distribution? 

Please advise. I have a customer who only wants to log complaints related to health concern (harmful or injurious). 

Thanks!

Ana 

Based on the Guidance manual, the "cover" is (extremely) "open-ended", implying that the scope is "defined" by the Customer. I suspect any retail product, hotline receiver, will tell you that this means infinity.

IMEX, Customers are only interested in what is in front of / within their mouth / eyes / nose / taste buds etc, the product history is definitely not their  problem (unless it's expired).

Note - A "customer" is defined in the Glossary as -

A buyer or person that purchases goods or services from the certified supplier

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

ana_baron

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Associate
  • 13 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 07 May 2015 - 11:57 AM

Thanks so much for your comments, and Thanks WyldIce for sharing the document. 

Have a great day! 

Ana 

xylough

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 149 posts
  • 154 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:"Foodie" stuff, dogs, family, horticulture, natural sciences

Posted 07 May 2015 - 08:43 PM

SQF aside, IMO a robust customer complaint/feedback system ought to acknowledge and facilitate many varied food safety and quality functions and best practices.

• Remember the final customer is not the only customer. There are often distributors, retailers and wholesalers of your product between you and the final customer (consumer). Issues with your product may reflect on them, implicate them and adversely affect them as links in the supply chain. Your complaint system ought to address and finalize acceptable conclusion for all the customers.
  • Customer complaints may serve as your first alert to a serious recall potential. Complaints should all be handled with due diligence and urgency with a view to ascertaining if there exists an illness or injury claim. Your complaint systems have to inform your traceability, disposition and recall systems.
  • Customer complaints may serve as your first alert to customer fraud. Sometimes customers use the system to get free product or make fraudulent claims of injury or illness. Unless your system tracks and trends complaints in detail, you will gain no edge on the fakes and cheaters. Your complaint systems ought to inform your insurance and legal teams.
  • If your company works to any standard of "continuous improvement", customer complaints may be a wealth of data for improving your systems, your supply chain and even your relationship with your distribution chain. If you do not apply CAPA to the known flaws in your systems, there is no improvement. Complaint systems must inform corrective action and preventative action. A complaint or trend of complaints may act as a window into the effectiveness of any given program or procedure within your systems.
  • Customers with even minor complaints may be alienated by negative experience with your product. You may stand to loose their business and alienate even more customers who hear through word of mouth. Your customer complaint systems ought to have elements of Service Recovery and measurement of satisfaction level. If you do not try to regain the loyalty of the customer you offended, they are probably lost. If you do not measure satisfaction, then you will not know if your efforts are effective.
  • The manor in which a company handles customer complaints is demonstrative of their Management Commitment to food safety and quality. Customer complaint systems must explicitly inform the key management individuals and teams for steering, decision making and capital expenditure through feeding into HACCP team, Defense of Food team, Internal audit team, Plant Improvement team meetings and documents
  • Customer complaint systems ought to include any positive feed-back as well. Positive feed-back from customers should not be a laurel to sit on, but should inform your company culture programs for positive reinforcement and recognition of  those who achieve, an what works according to plan and goes right.

Thanked by 2 Members:

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users