• IFSQN Member
  • 67 posts
  • 6 thanks
Neutral

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 29 May 2015 - 03:03 PM

Hi All,

Does anybody know what is any is the maximum percentage of ingredient change is allowed before labelling needs to change.

What I mean is ingredients are listed by weight in descending order, if I have 1 ingredient at 30% and the next one at 29.5% but the formulation is changed so that the ingredient underneath now is 30.5% would the label need to changed each time or is there a variation that is allowed where as to not change labels?

Cory R.

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Associate
  • 14 posts
  • 5 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 29 May 2015 - 04:26 PM

My interpretation of U.S.A labeling laws is that there is no allowance given and labeling should always conform to (21CFR101)

states: "Ingredients shall be listed by common or usual name in descending order of predominance by weight on either the principal display panel or the information panel in accordance with the provisions of 101.2"

Not sure if it is the same for your local food regulations

Murae

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 67 posts
  • 6 thanks
Neutral

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 01 June 2015 - 11:04 AM

Thanks Cory,

It was mentioned to me by our marketing department that within a 5% inclusion change this would not require the labelling to be altered.

I didn't know if there was a limit as they have said it this has always been the rule or if they are just avoiding possible extra work.

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5662 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 01 June 2015 - 01:51 PM

Hi Murae,

I think the UK,labelling regs from FSA website have been posted here somewhere. May take some finding though.

Or maybe try this + paracetamol

http://www.reading.a...abel/index2.htm

(start at 4th item down the list)

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

Cory R.

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Associate
  • 14 posts
  • 5 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 02 June 2015 - 08:53 PM

I could see the 5% inclusion change, if the company can support it by SPC of their scaling/dosing system and saying that the ingredient listing statistically conforms to the regulations. If your marketing dept. ever gives you their source, make sure to let us know. I would love to have a buffer zone for ingredient labeling, just haven't seen anything on that topic.

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users