• IFSQN Associate
  • 14 posts
  • 5 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 09 June 2015 - 05:03 PM

Hey All,

Hopefully fellow international members aren't also feeling the pinch for egg products. Working for a bakery that utilizes large amounts and seeing the price triple has been a bad beginning to what looks to be a good summer.

Since supply is very low for frozen "pasteurized" liquid whole eggs are non-existent. We are looking at possibly turning to refrigerated "pasteurized" liquid whole eggs since that is what is available and even then it is hard to come by. The lower shelf life is not ideal but it is better than having to do immediate R&D work to start reducing dependence (my new future cost savings plan).

I have setup a temperature monitoring plan for the change of ingredient (33-38F, 1-4C), have specifications and supporting documents on ingredients since we already have the supplier on our approved list. I am also creating/adding a handling procedure for refrigerated eggs since we were covered by our thawing procedure on frozen. Lastly, produce is being listed as R&D trial run first with sensory and chemical/physical analysis testing prior to heavy use.

Are there other recommended practices? I am considering to require samples pulled at receipt for micro analysis, but the company does send COA's with micro results so I my just hold off for now.

How are all you other U.S. bakeries etc handling your egg shortage? Hopefully the supply will start to correct itself.

Egg producers in the Netherlands might be looking to gain more access to U.S. market

http://www.fsis.usda...nstUpdate060115

michaeldebic

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 3 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 23 June 2015 - 08:58 AM

Egg shortage becomes such a big issue sometime, especially for those who are in the bakery business. So they should have enough stock and storage facilities for uninterrupted business.
You are doing very well.

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users