Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 56 posts
  • 3 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 22 June 2015 - 04:50 PM

Is there a difference between an "SQF Readiness Evaluation" and an "SQF Desk Audit" or no?

We're pursuing SQF Level 2 Certification for the very first time and were led to believe that our "Desk Audit" is scheduled for tomorrow, but now all we're hearing about from the SQF Practitioner is him referring to it as a "2nd Readiness Evaluation" as opposed to a traditional "Desk Audit" and we're a little confused (and need to know if we should be concerned!).

I'd like to think this is just a case of "inside baseball"/semantics, but even though I'm a "Newbie" to all of this, I at least know that language/wording REALLY MATTERS when it comes to the SQF Code, which is why I needed to ask all you trusted experts about this ASAP.

Thanks in advance for your time and help!

All The Best,

JKRed

Swimming In An Alphabet Soup of SQF Acronyms, Code, & Clauses!

"You do SQF Level 2 because your customers demand it. You do SQF Level 3 for yourselves, because you see the value in improving your systems and extending the philosophy and practices in SQF to other aspects of your business, beyond Food Safety." Anonymous

Tony-C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 4,223 posts
  • 1288 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:My main interests are sports particularly football, pool, scuba diving, skiing and ten pin bowling.

Posted 23 June 2015 - 03:59 AM

Hi JKRed,

Hi there,

Yes there is a difference, SQF use the term 'Pre-assessment Audit.

If you look at Part A: Implementing and Maintaining the SQF Code:

1. Preparing for SQF Certification
1.11 Conduct a Pre-assessment Audit
A pre-assessment audit is not mandatory, but is recommended to provide a ‘health check’ of the supplier’s implemented SQF System. A pre-assessment audit can assist in identifying gaps in the supplier’s SQF System so that corrective action can occur before engaging the selected certification body for a full certification audit. It can be conducted using internal resources, an SQF consultant, or an SQF auditor.

2. The Initial Certification Process
2.1 Selection of the SQF Auditor(s)
2.2 Identifying the Scope of Certification
2.3 The Certification Audit
The SQF certification audit consists of two stages:
i. The desk audit is undertaken to verify that the supplier’s SQF System documentation meets the requirements of the SQF Code.
ii. The facility audit is conducted on site and determines the effective implementation of the supplier’s documented SQF System.

Regards,

Tony

JKRed

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 56 posts
  • 3 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 23 June 2015 - 07:30 PM

We have a short break before the "Exit Interview" phase following today's "Readiness Evaluation" so I wanted to quickly follow-up.

Yes, you were absolutely right and spot on about there being a difference. Wish I would've known that and we would've been informed of this months ago to temper our nerves a bit though! 

Anyway, thanks for the quick insight too, by the way. This was my very first experience sitting through any kind of an SQF Audit and it was...W-O-W!!!

Still Learning,

JKRed

Swimming In An Alphabet Soup of SQF Acronyms, Code, & Clauses!

"You do SQF Level 2 because your customers demand it. You do SQF Level 3 for yourselves, because you see the value in improving your systems and extending the philosophy and practices in SQF to other aspects of your business, beyond Food Safety." Anonymous

Notsewb

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 14 posts
  • 1 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 29 October 2015 - 06:37 PM

How did your Audit go? 

My First Desk audit is February and the Plant SQF Audit is in March 2016 and I am extremely nervous.

Also what did you do with the previous documents that your company had in place? Did you start from Version 1 and Grandfathered the previous documents? I say grandfathered because that was recommended by a colleague in my SQF course last week but I'm still not sure if SQF uses that term. 

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users