• IFSQN Associate
  • 31 posts
  • 1 thanks
Neutral

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 25 June 2015 - 09:49 AM

HI everyone,

i'm new here and not very experienced as technical yet:) 

I'm sorry if that topic was already on.

I have a few staff who have refused to sign personal hygiene rules:(. The issue is that they want to wear shorts during summer time. 

Previous technical didn't see any issues with that so it was allowed.

But from my point of view it is a foreign body contamination if the hair falls in the product, is it?  Also i  have concerns relating  to health and  safety because exposed legs havent got any protection in case of spillage of hot butter. 

Also would you allow wearing a watch if it is covered with sleeve?

Ashish Gupta

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 9 posts
  • 3 thanks
Neutral

• India
    India

Posted 25 June 2015 - 11:32 AM

agness88,

Any such things like wearing shorts or watches cant be allowed in food handling or production area in any case. You cant be everytime sure whether food handlers are following the instructions or guidelines you have given to protect the hazards associated. Its better to be & keep everyone adhere to the GHP norms. Dont look for options, it could be dangerous for your organisation.

Setanta

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,599 posts
  • 369 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Reading: historical fiction, fantasy, Sci-Fi
    Movies
    Gardening
    Birding

Posted 25 June 2015 - 11:43 AM

Your predecessor did you no favors by allowing shorts. Please read through these threads. 

http://www.ifsqn.com...ex-environment/

-Setanta         

Setanta

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,599 posts
  • 369 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
    Movies
    Gardening
    Birding

Posted 25 June 2015 - 11:45 AM

I meant to have a couple of threads, please use the search function at the upper right hand side.  Try 'long pants' and 'shorts in food production'

-Setanta         

Setanta

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,599 posts
  • 369 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
    Movies
    Gardening
    Birding

Posted 25 June 2015 - 11:58 AM

Try to ensure you have senior management on your side before going forth with any new enforcement.  Good Luck! ^_^

-Setanta         

OVA

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 13 posts
  • 3 thanks
Neutral

• Ireland
    Ireland

Posted 01 July 2015 - 07:45 AM

Also remember that they will whinge & moan and you will be the worst person in the world but don't let them bother you.  I'm sure you have lots of friends outside work so you're not looking for friends at work.  I don't mean that in a bad way- you can get along with people well at work but ultimately they're not the ones who will have to justify hairy legs to a customer or auditor! 

Thanked by 1 Member:

FoodChick

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Associate
  • 23 posts
  • 7 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 02 July 2015 - 02:57 PM

You need to do a risk analysis.  How likely is it for a leg hair to get in the product?  I have worked in a facility where shorts were permitted and  it did not bother me from a quality perspective.  Due to the layout of production, exposed areas, etc., it was extremely, extremely unlikely.  In my current facility, there is no way I would allow shorts in production based on a much higher risk due to the layout and exposed product. 

If you are going to ban shorts, do it with NO exceptions.  And if you ban shorts, you should also ban short sleeves.  Think about the hair and sweat on arms as well.

I always say the food industry is NOT the fashion industry.  Plus uniforms, standard requirements are awesome as it shortens the decision process in the morning of what to wear.

I wonder what Tim Hunt would have to say about women in food processing clothing?

Thanked by 1 Member:

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users