• IFSQN Associate
  • 37 posts
  • 2 thanks
Neutral

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 12 August 2015 - 06:53 PM

Hi,

I know there is a topic on jewelry already but it sounded specific to meat.

We are trying to get SQF certified early next year 2016. Oh, we manufacture and package candies and chocolate.

We have made an announcement that no jewelry and nail polishes are allowed in the production area. The employees who had nose piercing removed them but replaced with a piece of wood or wire to prevent the hole from closing.

I'm trying to minimize grey area.

Should this be allowed? What are your thoughts?

Setanta

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,596 posts
  • 369 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Reading: historical fiction, fantasy, Sci-Fi
    Movies
    Gardening
    Birding

Posted 12 August 2015 - 06:56 PM

No. If they can't remove it, they should cover it with a metal detectable bandage. Every day.

-Setanta         

Thanked by 1 Member:

peipei

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 37 posts
  • 2 thanks
Neutral

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 12 August 2015 - 07:02 PM

I believe our SQF consultant even said that covering it up with a plaster is not proper and hygienic.

Setanta

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,596 posts
  • 369 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
    Movies
    Gardening
    Birding

Posted 12 August 2015 - 07:12 PM

As I inadvertently said on another thread....plaster = bandage?    :giggle:

-Setanta         

peipei

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 37 posts
  • 2 thanks
Neutral

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 12 August 2015 - 07:14 PM

yes plaster = bandage.

I was given the information that it's not allowed to cover the piercing

Setanta

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,596 posts
  • 369 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
    Movies
    Gardening
    Birding

Posted 12 August 2015 - 07:27 PM

I would certainly side with the consultant, but stay away from wood! 

-Setanta         

peipei

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 37 posts
  • 2 thanks
Neutral

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 12 August 2015 - 07:27 PM

It is so confusing when some legislation says that jewelry that cannot be removed must be covered yet your consultant says no.

peipei

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 37 posts
  • 2 thanks
Neutral

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 12 August 2015 - 07:31 PM

metal detectable bandage.... good idea but I don't think our company will by those specific bandage just for their piercing. At this point, to prevent some expenses, might as well as just not allow it.

trubertq

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 658 posts
  • 281 thanks
Excellent

• Ireland
    Ireland

Posted 12 August 2015 - 09:10 PM

Not allowed covered or otherwise in my world  :silly: I enjoy removing them with pliers and vice grips... I jest.......maybe

I'm entitled to my opinion, even a stopped clock is right twice a day

Thanked by 1 Member:

Setanta

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,596 posts
  • 369 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
    Movies
    Gardening
    Birding

Posted 13 August 2015 - 12:03 PM

metal detectable bandage.... good idea but I don't think our company will by those specific bandage just for their piercing. At this point, to prevent some expenses, might as well as just not allow it.

But don't you have metal detectable bandages available for regular use?  How do you cover minor scrapes?

-Setanta         

peipei

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 37 posts
  • 2 thanks
Neutral

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 13 August 2015 - 12:32 PM

Nope

We don't have metal detectable bandage or gloves.

When there is a wound,they cover it up with a regular bandage and have to wear gloves.

Snookie

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,625 posts
  • 267 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 13 August 2015 - 05:58 PM

Nope

We don't have metal detectable bandage or gloves.

When there is a wound,they cover it up with a regular bandage and have to wear gloves.

And if the bandage is not on the hand?   You need metal detectable band aids.  It is a minimal expense in the scheme of things.  

I understand the no jewelry issue, but am hard pressed to understand how a piece of wood or a wire is any different.  It is still a potential for it to be a foreign contaminant if it falls out.  And a bandage is more likely to fall off than the jewelry.  

I really don't like nose piercings.  

Posted Image
Live Long & Prosper

peipei

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 37 posts
  • 2 thanks
Neutral

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 13 August 2015 - 06:28 PM

I asked them remove the "object" from their nose piercing.

However, they claim that if they remove the piercing, the hole will heal and it's very hard to put it back on.

I would not allow it.. but like I said, would like to hear people thoughts.

Arod

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 14 posts
  • 1 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 13 August 2015 - 07:16 PM

They can always put it back on once they leave the plant after work, the hole is not going to close in a work shift... :biggrin:

peipei

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 37 posts
  • 2 thanks
Neutral

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 13 August 2015 - 07:30 PM

That's what one of our management said to the employee but they had to bring another excuse saying it's very hard to put it back on... :glare:

Then, I heard from the management, that it seems, nose piercing hole closes very easily...

Arod

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 14 posts
  • 1 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 13 August 2015 - 07:36 PM

I would believe that if it has been fleshly pierced and even if it was so,  its like a cut, it doesn't "heal" in one day.

If its an old piercing it shouldn't be difficult to put back on..

trubertq

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 658 posts
  • 281 thanks
Excellent

• Ireland
    Ireland

Posted 13 August 2015 - 09:30 PM

Balderdash.... it won't heal up in an 8/12 hr shift and if they want to work in your facility they need to taje it out. How would they like to find someone else's nose stud in their candy bar.....

I'm entitled to my opinion, even a stopped clock is right twice a day

peipei

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 37 posts
  • 2 thanks
Neutral

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 14 August 2015 - 11:38 AM

I have no nose piercing... but I do have earring holes.

I agree to remove the nose piercing, whatever the material is but it just seems it's hard to get them to understand.

peipei

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 37 posts
  • 2 thanks
Neutral

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 14 August 2015 - 11:41 AM

sorry, don't know how to edit a post... 

After I heard that nose piercing closes, I googled it and it seems some claims that it can close within a few hours?!

It's really weird...

maara91

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 37 posts
  • 24 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:HACCP, BRC, FOOD SAFETY,

Posted 14 August 2015 - 01:47 PM

We just tell our employees that those are the rules and if they want to keep their job they need to remove them or the can't work here.

peipei

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 37 posts
  • 2 thanks
Neutral

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 17 August 2015 - 11:47 AM

well... I'm not sure if they are allowed to file a complaint to the "norme du travail"...

clbernard

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Associate
  • 20 posts
  • 6 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 17 August 2015 - 04:48 PM

I think the standard (regardless of which GFSI you adopt) is clear that removable jewelry is prohibited and if you want to do business in food that rule must be followed.  I have been informed, and common sense dictates, that removable is any type of jewelry that comes off, simple.  Non-removable would be if it is welded in place or implanted.  I agree with other posts in that if you want to work in food then you remove the visible piercings and other jewelry.  Whether the hole closes or not is irrelevant in that the piercings are a choice. 

Thanked by 1 Member:

peipei

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 37 posts
  • 2 thanks
Neutral

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 18 August 2015 - 05:16 PM

OK, here is the final reasoning that I have gotten from our consultant and above posts:

1) Ideally is it to remove all jewelry unless it's plain and not removable. No exceptions.

2) From suggestive above with bandage/plaster. Not recommended as it's not very sanitary and would require to validate the use of metal detectable plaster. Because, the plaster may have a risk of falling into the product and at the same time, is the metal detector able to detect such a small piece of metal (nose piercing). If able to prove it, then bravo.

3) Apparently depending on the states law, some laws are extremely strict. For example, our Federal law (if they pass by for an inspection or so), they don't even accept plain non removable ring. The ring must be cut off. That is if that person is unlucky. (PS. I just learned that today from our consultant).

Otherwise, to make it less difficult, no tolerance.

I'm not saying that I don't know what to do... but just want to hear other people's thoughts.

And beside, employees like to PLAY with WORDS. They will try to find exceptions and a hole to bypass it.

herdy

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 29 posts
  • 11 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 19 August 2015 - 01:42 PM

I know there seems like a consensus here, but after reading through the answers I was thinking of some ways to give an answer to your employees with less backfire perhaps. I have been wanting to add an ear piercing for a while now but since I am the QA Manager/sqf person, I obviously can't go breaking the rules. When you get any new piercing, ear/ nose/ etc, you have to keep the piercing in usually for at least 6 months straight. Since our policy prohibits jewelry, I know there is no way to get a piercing. I will have to wait until I work in an environment that allows them if that happens. If, by the same logic, someone has or wants a nose piercing but cannot take it out during the shift, they can't get one. It is most likely part of your GMPs, which they probably had to sign at some point saying they would follow them.

I would say a piece of wood or wire is not only less hygienic than a piercing but also more likely to fall out and into product, which is the whole reason that jewelry is not allowed.

Another thought is reminding them they can wear the piercing during breaks? Since you have to allow them to eat and have somewhere to keep their items, they probably have somewhere they can wear their piercing. Yes, employees work for probably 8+ hours at a time, but they most likely at a minimum have 2 ten minute breaks and 1 thirty minute break. Since those are spaced out during the shift, they probably don't go more than 2-3 hours without a time where they could put the piercing in for at least 10 minutes. Unless the piercing is very new, that maybe should be good?

Just some thoughts that could potentially help!

Good luck!

sbailey

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 3 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 19 August 2015 - 02:26 PM

Jewellery is not permitted as it is a potential physical hazard. As such, a piece of wire or wood should not be permitted either. If anything, wood wouldn't be detected by a metal detector. Our policy is that all jewellery that can be physically removed must be during working hours. Maybe they can re-insert a nose ring during off hours.

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users