• IFSQN Active
  • 2 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 26 August 2015 - 02:31 PM

Hello Everyone,

I'm a production manager for a small company, and over the past 3 years we've transitioned to SQF.  The regulatory requirements can be bit overwhelming. The pre-requisite programs, HACCP, GMP, LMNOP (joke), etc. can be a bit overwhelming to grasp let alone make sense of.  Some things just do not make sense and I am hoping to understand them better by joining this forum. I appreciate any time and effort you can extend me in my efforts to figure a lot of this out. As an opening example, hair and bear nets.....Here's what we have to do:

Enter production area, place nets on beard and head.

Leave prodcution area, go to bathroom, dispose of both nets prior to entering bathroom.

Leave bathroom, place new nets on beard and head, enter production.

Leave produciton area, enter breakroom, dispose of both nets prior to entering breakroom.

leave breakroom, place both nets back on, enter production.

Why can't we just leave teh nets on when gong to the bathroom or on break?  What I see happening is, there are times, not often, when the guys come out of the bathroom, clean and sanitize hands, polace a hair net on, but forget the beard cover.

MWidra

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 778 posts
  • 314 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:My Dogs (Beagles),Gardening, SciFi, Video Games (WoW, D3, HoS, PvZ), Classical Music, Legal Stuff, Science Stuff. I'm a Geeky Nerd.

Posted 26 August 2015 - 04:57 PM

Hello Everyone,

I'm a production manager for a small company, and over the past 3 years we've transitioned to SQF.  The regulatory requirements can be bit overwhelming. The pre-requisite programs, HACCP, GMP, LMNOP (joke), etc. can be a bit overwhelming to grasp let alone make sense of.  Some things just do not make sense and I am hoping to understand them better by joining this forum. I appreciate any time and effort you can extend me in my efforts to figure a lot of this out. As an opening example, hair and bear nets.....Here's what we have to do:

Enter production area, place nets on beard and head.

Leave prodcution area, go to bathroom, dispose of both nets prior to entering bathroom.

Leave bathroom, place new nets on beard and head, enter production.

Leave produciton area, enter breakroom, dispose of both nets prior to entering breakroom.

leave breakroom, place both nets back on, enter production.

Why can't we just leave teh nets on when gong to the bathroom or on break?  What I see happening is, there are times, not often, when the guys come out of the bathroom, clean and sanitize hands, polace a hair net on, but forget the beard cover.

Welcome Dan:

The reason that new hair and beardnets must be put on is that the ones they were wearing have been contaminated by "stuff" from the areas they visited.  Think of the production area as an enclosed area with its own set of "stuff" in it.  When you come in, you could bring in outside "stuff", so you wash your hands and put on PPE to keep that foreign "stuff" from getting into the food.  When you go out, the foreign "stuff" gets onto the PPE you were wearing so it has to be changed so only the food production area "stuff" is on it.

That's the best way for me to think of it.  I also think of it as being like an operating room or kitchen,  You don't want to bring in contaminants from other areas.

Keep asking questions, and reach out to those here.

Martha

"...everything can be taken from a man but one thing:  the last of the human freedoms--to choose one's attitude in any given set of circumstances, to choose one's own way."  Viktor E. Frankl

"Life's like a movie, write your own ending."  The Muppets

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users