• IFSQN Member
  • 116 posts
  • 13 thanks
Neutral

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 14 September 2015 - 08:08 AM

So we apply as our only control +10 days shelf life max to fresh pastry,

We want to create a new product that is essentially the same but instead will be rapidly blast chilled to a frozen state and sold as frozen with an aim to have 6 months shelf life on it.

My question is: does the same rules for VAC pack still apply? and if so by freezing the product using the FSA guidance tree mean that we can do away with the +10 day requirement if that makes sense? and apply our 6 months with of course validation of that shelf life?

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5666 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 14 September 2015 - 10:30 AM

So we apply as our only control +10 days shelf life max to fresh pastry,

We want to create a new product that is essentially the same but instead will be rapidly blast chilled to a frozen state and sold as frozen with an aim to have 6 months shelf life on it.

My question is: does the same rules for VAC pack still apply? and if so by freezing the product using the FSA guidance tree mean that we can do away with the +10 day requirement if that makes sense? and apply our 6 months with of course validation of that shelf life?

Hi David,

Is this the same product as yr previous thread ?

http://www.ifsqn.com...nes/#entry88189

If so, the answer is presumably that everything changes.

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

DavidAR

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 116 posts
  • 13 thanks
Neutral

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 14 September 2015 - 11:14 AM

Essentially the product in that thread yes, but it will not be stored fresh, in fresh packaging with +10 days shelf life.

It will be manufactured Vac wrapepd into a new poly bag suitable for freezing and given a 6 month shelf life essentially.

This means that the guide where it says use +10 days for fresh would be null and void for this product.?

Im not sure if i will need to consider difrent criteria now, especially if i need to consider the USB afte rdefrosting.

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5666 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
    TV
    Movies

Posted 14 September 2015 - 11:34 AM

Hi David,

As i understand, it's no longer retailed as a vac.pack chilled food.

I'm assuming you freeze to -18degC and then vac.pack followed by distribution/sale under a similar cold-chain.

Have a look at this document -

Attached File  C.botulinum in vacuum packed-MAP chilled foods.pdf   1.22MB   58 downloads

The specific pastry situation / possible process / consumer caveats may be discussed somewhere on the same web page as linked previously.

PS - this USA publication is also quite interesting , seems to be a (slightly) different, chilled - shelf-life interpretation -

Attached File  ROP_Guidelines.pdf   133.36KB   66 downloads

PPS - this was probably the (2008) resultant output of the first attachment above (may hv been updated since) -

Attached File  FSA - vacpacguide-1.pdf   268.49KB   57 downloads

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

DavidAR

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 116 posts
  • 13 thanks
Neutral

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 14 September 2015 - 03:15 PM

We are not currently selling this product frozen at all! officially its sold as a fresh product that can be frozen for 6 months and used within 3 days of defrost. The a specific customer from when company was just starting out has simply asked us to stick the finished fresh product with 10 day shelf life attached in to a freezer to help them. (not ideal scenario) which they did since time began.

Growth in market has meant we want to make an actual Frozen variety of the product, with its own branding and packaging etc.

The manufacturing process has not been descided but now you mention it above, would there be any issue in packing fresh product as normal, vacing it, labeling it up, metal detecting it then blast chilling to a temperature such as -18degC before sticking in to a freezer unit to maintain temperature? I feel that by reducing the time at ambient and using blast chiller into cold chain would be sufficient control to forgoe the 10 day rule. which seems extremely controversal depending on what country your in having read those PDF's...

oh and in terms of retail, there is the potential in future to go retail i believe but im not kept in loop of those plans at the moment.

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5666 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
    TV
    Movies

Posted 14 September 2015 - 04:34 PM

We are not currently selling this product frozen at all! officially its sold as a fresh product that can be frozen for 6 months and used within 3 days of defrost. The a specific customer from when company was just starting out has simply asked us to stick the finished fresh product with 10 day shelf life attached in to a freezer to help them. (not ideal scenario) which they did since time began.

Growth in market has meant we want to make an actual Frozen variety of the product, with its own branding and packaging etc.

The manufacturing process has not been descided but now you mention it above, would there be any issue in packing fresh product as normal, vacing it, labeling it up, metal detecting it then blast chilling to a temperature such as -18degC before sticking in to a freezer unit to maintain temperature? I feel that by reducing the time at ambient and using blast chiller into cold chain would be sufficient control to forgoe the 10 day rule. which seems extremely controversal depending on what country your in having read those PDF's...

oh and in terms of retail, there is the potential in future to go retail i believe but im not kept in loop of those plans at the moment.

Hi David,

Interesting product. I think I would have a few inhibitions about storing it chilled for 9-10 days and then freezing it.

No experience pastries but for other frozen products I have seen vac. packing done both before and after. It probably more depends on relative handling practicality since the time for yr product to reach <= 0degC will presumably not be much different either way and anyway quick ?.

The pastry example I attached in yr previous thread appears to do direct freezing without vac.pack. Maybe insufficient benefit ?

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

DavidAR

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 116 posts
  • 13 thanks
Neutral

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 15 September 2015 - 06:50 AM

We dont have fascility currently to freeze instantly "Ln2 freezer" and no i wasnt clear above, i meant the fresh product has +10days USB and that the new product manufacturerd the same would be blast chilled to frozen and stored frozen on day 0. The product shelf life would then become 6 months frozen with a 3 day USB from defrost. I tottaly agree that frezing at day 10 would be a little HMMMMMMMMM. we do sugest product can be frozen this way for fresh however.

If product is 10 day old and is then frozen and defrosted would it be suitable still for further 3 days, interesting point worthy of looking in to.

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users