• IFSQN Active
  • 5 posts
  • 8 thanks
Neutral

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 27 October 2015 - 04:48 PM

Hello,

I am hoping someone can help me in regards to the new clause 3.9.3 regarding traceability.

It states that

"The company shall ensure that its suppliers of raw materials have an eff ective traceability system.

Where a supplier has been approved based on a questionnaire, instead of certifi cation or audit,

verifi cation of the supplier’s traceability system shall be carried out on fi rst approval and then at least

every 3 years. This may be achieved by a traceability test."

We ask our suppliers to complete a questionnaire if they have GFSI accreditation and do not wish to provide the full audit report or NCR summary.

If the supplier does not hold GFSI accreditation and they have been approved based on a questionnaire, but they do have, say for example ISO 22000:2005, does this mean we have to ask them to complete a traceability test every 3 years?

Does anyone know if ISO 222000:2005 audits require a traceability exercise to be carried out as part of the certification requirements?

I hope this makes sense!

Many thanks.

mgourley

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,417 posts
  • 1002 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Cooking, golf, firearms, food safety and sanitation.

Posted 27 October 2015 - 08:54 PM

If they are certificated to a GFSI scheme, they should be able to provide you with a copy of their certificate. No need for an audit report or NCR Summary.

I do not have the ISO 22000:2005 standard, But FSSC22000 is based on the ISO standard. In their Requirements to obtain certification, they specifically mention traceability.

So I am going to say yes, if someone has a certification for a 22000:2005 audit, they demonstrated that they have an effective traceability system in place.

I am always open to correction, however.

Marshall

Antonino

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 2 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Italy
    Italy

Posted 27 October 2015 - 09:01 PM

Hello

My Name is Antonino, hope i Can help you a little bit

First Tracebility is a legal requirement in EU (probably everywhere) so anybody that deal with food must have in place a system to trace anything that is food or food related.

so doing a tracebility excercise every three years should not be a big issue, just give them a batch or lot code that you received and wait 24 hours, they should be able to

give back to you with all trace within their HACCP scope, this will avoid you to look for suppliers with any GFSI certification, (in case of emergency supplier or unique products).

Anyway, EN ISO 22000 of course being a food safety management system ask anybody wants to use this certification

to have a tracebility system in place (chapter 7.9), so because your are dealing with an equivalent food safety management system you should not ask for,

a Certification Body will do the job for you.

hope this help

Antonino

Simon

IFSQN...it's My Life

• IFSQN Admin
  • 12,840 posts
  • 1365 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:Married to Michelle, Father of three boys (Oliver, Jacob and Louis). I enjoy cycling, walking and travelling, watching sport, especially football and Manchester United. Oh and I love food and beer and wine.

Posted 30 October 2015 - 12:16 PM

Is 3.9.3 in BRC or ISO 22000 as this is posted in the BRC forum.

Get FREE bitesize education with IFSQN webinar recordings.

Download this handy excel for desktop access to over 180 Food Safety Friday's webinar recordings.
https://www.ifsqn.com/fsf/Free%20Food%20Safety%20Videos.xlsx

Check out IFSQN’s extensive library of FREE food safety videos
https://www.ifsqn.com/food_safety_videos.html

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users