• IFSQN Associate
  • 19 posts
  • 1 thanks
Neutral

• Cayman Islands
    Cayman Islands

Posted 15 December 2015 - 04:54 PM

Hi guys,

During our last audit we were asked if we printed labels for bottle neck application.

The answer was no, which we followed with the question why?

The auditor pointed out that there could be a risk of ingestion via the mouth touching the label when drinking :thumbdown: (personally I prefer a glass) :rolleyes:

Guess what? We have just received an enquiry to print neck labels :yeahrite:

So, what to do? I can't see anything in v5 of the standard & can't really see any need to do anything special tbh.

Has anyone else encountered this before? Should I just cover it off with risk assessment?

We are Low cat - non direct contact & printing flexo.

667...the neighbour of the beast

Simon

IFSQN...it's My Life

• IFSQN Admin
  • 12,826 posts
  • 1363 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:Married to Michelle, Father of three boys (Oliver, Jacob and Louis). I enjoy cycling, walking and travelling, watching sport, especially football and Manchester United. Oh and I love food and beer and wine.

Posted 16 December 2015 - 07:14 AM

Its an interesting one for sure.  Your product is not coming into direct contact with food (beverage) and I agree I don't believe the standard covers this situation that a consumer may put your packaging into contact with their mouth.  If you follow the decision tree in the standard (I can't remember it off the top of my head) then I don't think it will lead to you changing your risk level.

As a matter of interest what kind of inks are you using and what are the labels made from?

Regards,

Simon

Get FREE bitesize education with IFSQN webinar recordings.

Download this handy excel for desktop access to over 180 Food Safety Friday's webinar recordings.
https://www.ifsqn.com/fsf/Free%20Food%20Safety%20Videos.xlsx

Check out IFSQN’s extensive library of FREE food safety videos
https://www.ifsqn.com/food_safety_videos.html

Thanked by 1 Member:

FS consultant

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 37 posts
  • 6 thanks
Neutral

• India
    India

Posted 16 December 2015 - 07:56 AM

If the bottle is refillable, then risk assessment is required. Any harmful material in the ink may leach under high temperature and other conditions while washing.

scrumpyone

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Associate
  • 19 posts
  • 1 thanks
Neutral

• Cayman Islands
    Cayman Islands

Posted 16 December 2015 - 11:20 AM

Thanks for responses.

Simon, we would normally use water based flexo ink with a UV cured over varnish.

Following much debate here, I think we will quote the job on a digital press instead. Data sheets for these toners state 'food
grade'. We will just need to ensure we source an over varnish that is also food grade.

Our retrospective risk assessment will reflect this decision.

Poulami, I believe glass bottles here in UK are now generally crushed & recycled rather than washed for re-use.

667...the neighbour of the beast

Simon

IFSQN...it's My Life

• IFSQN Admin
  • 12,826 posts
  • 1363 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:Married to Michelle, Father of three boys (Oliver, Jacob and Louis). I enjoy cycling, walking and travelling, watching sport, especially football and Manchester United. Oh and I love food and beer and wine.

Posted 16 December 2015 - 06:37 PM

Thanks for the feedback Scrumpyone...looks like you solved it in the best way possible i.e. Remove the Hazard (if it ever was one) :smile:

Regards,

Simon

Get FREE bitesize education with IFSQN webinar recordings.

Download this handy excel for desktop access to over 180 Food Safety Friday's webinar recordings.
https://www.ifsqn.com/fsf/Free%20Food%20Safety%20Videos.xlsx

Check out IFSQN’s extensive library of FREE food safety videos
https://www.ifsqn.com/food_safety_videos.html

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users