I received an update from Leann Chuboff, Senior Technical Director, Safe Quality Food Institute.
- SQF Edition 8 will be released October, 2016
- There will be a 6 month implementation timeline so the expected implementation date will be April, 2017
- Changes to the Code will focus on issues that lead to recalls including:
- Supplier Control Programs
- Environmental Monitoring Programs
- Labeling requirements
- Food Quality Plans
- Some of the specific changes would include:
- Currently EMP is required for high risk/high care environments. SQF will pull this out and require all facilities to conduct a risk assessment to determine the level of EMP that applies to their facility.
- Level 3, Quality, will be a stand alone certification. This Code will be revised and strengthened to focus on the supplier’s Quality and Continuous Improvement programs.
- Codes for Processing, Storage and Distribution, Food Packaging, and the pre-farm gate will be evaluated and revised to ensure industry and food safety are properly addressed.
Attached below is the presentation LeAnn did at the SQF Conference that outlined some of the changes for edition 8.
SQF 2016 and Beyond (7mb PDF)