• Quick Navigation
Photo

Music systems in production areas...are they allowed?

Share this

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic
* * * * * 1 votes

PSC

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 35 posts
  • 8 thanks
Neutral

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 03 March 2016 - 04:35 PM

I have been asked to allow music in our production areas. We are an RTE meat company. Before we were BRC certified, we allowed music. However, our BRC consultant told us we needed to remove the music players because they could not be properly sanitized. I know there are plenty of waterproof music players available, I just don't know if it's reasonable for them to be allowed in our production areas.

Has anyone else come across this issue? 

Any advice, experience or suggestions are most appreciated.

Thank you.

GMO

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 2,849 posts
  • 726 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 03 March 2016 - 04:36 PM

We have a tannoy based system.  I vetoed portable radios on the same basis and FB risk but I don't see anything wrong with waterproof cleanable systems which aren't FB risks.

Simon

IFSQN...it's My Life

• IFSQN Admin
  • 12,836 posts
  • 1363 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:Married to Michelle, Father of three boys (Oliver, Jacob and Louis). I enjoy cycling, walking and travelling, watching sport, especially football and Manchester United. Oh and I love food and beer and wine.

Posted 03 March 2016 - 04:42 PM

I agree with GMO, music itself is not a hazard to food safety, but the delivery equipment can be.  Broadcasting music via speakers to the whole factory is the easiest and safest method.

:band:

Regards,

Simon

Get FREE bitesize education with IFSQN webinar recordings.

Download this handy excel for desktop access to over 180 Food Safety Friday's webinar recordings.
https://www.ifsqn.com/fsf/Free%20Food%20Safety%20Videos.xlsx

Check out IFSQN’s extensive library of FREE food safety videos
https://www.ifsqn.com/food_safety_videos.html

Thanked by 1 Member:

Dr Vu

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 235 posts
  • 51 thanks
Good

• Canada
    Canada
  • Interests:Action movies...

Posted 03 March 2016 - 08:31 PM

PSC be careful.. jamming Bob  Marley make salmonella more reproductive :happydance:

A vu in time , saves nine

Thanked by 2 Members:

cfullerrun

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 4 posts
  • 3 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 04 March 2016 - 01:44 PM

Please note that in addition to food safety concerns, you may face licensing fees for broadcasting music in your facility. In the US that is typically handled by ASCAP or BMI. Just one more thing to think about...

Thanked by 2 Members:

ctzinck

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 110 posts
  • 38 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 07 March 2016 - 07:57 PM

PSC be careful.. jamming Bob  Marley make salmonella more reproductive :happydance:

Bob Marley? I would of suspected Barry White...

Thanked by 1 Member:

Big Wally

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 58 posts
  • 20 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 07 March 2016 - 08:15 PM

Piping in Barry White would make everything more reproductive.

Thanked by 1 Member:

Simon

IFSQN...it's My Life

• IFSQN Admin
  • 12,836 posts
  • 1363 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:Married to Michelle, Father of three boys (Oliver, Jacob and Louis). I enjoy cycling, walking and travelling, watching sport, especially football and Manchester United. Oh and I love food and beer and wine.

Posted 07 March 2016 - 08:23 PM

How about some grunge...they like dirt.

Download this handy excel for desktop access to over 180 Food Safety Friday's webinar recordings.

Simon

IFSQN...it's My Life

• IFSQN Admin
  • 12,836 posts
  • 1363 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 07 March 2016 - 08:27 PM

By the way going back to the serious question there are also some person safety issues with music, which can be a distraction or mask hazards if on too loud.  That said it has many psychological benefits if delivered safely and at a level that does not cause other problems.  

Now back to the music that bacteria like to get down to. :smile:

PSC

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 35 posts
  • 8 thanks
Neutral

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 07 March 2016 - 08:30 PM

I want to thank everyone for their heartfelt and long thought out recommendations. Also, I hate you all... :bye:  

Thanked by 1 Member:

QATX12

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 34 posts
  • 8 thanks
Neutral

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 07 March 2016 - 08:39 PM

I believe the following needs to be taken into consideration:

1. the use of radios may distract employees from their work which could lead to work place injuries and product quality issues
  2. it may muffle sounds that they need to hear (phones, alarms, pages, etc.), you know important stuff
  3. it tends to shut people off from others, because coworkers are hesitant to interrupt people who seem to be indicating that they don’t want to talk.
  4. not everyone will agree with the type of music you decide to play and as a result may find it to be a nuisance
  5. in the U.S. OSHA could potentially decide it is a safety violation as employees can be distracted from their line of work

Thanked by 1 Member:

VickieLew

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Associate
  • 9 posts
  • 11 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 07 March 2016 - 10:32 PM

I asked this same question a long, long time ago.  A very wise person answered with this simple Louis Pasteur quote;

"In the field of observation, chance favours only the prepared mind."

matthewcc

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 155 posts
  • 20 thanks
Good

• United States
    United States

Posted 08 March 2016 - 12:50 AM

It seems like the solution might be to cover the radio with a plastic bag, and then clean/replace the bag as often as necessary.

This doesn't address the safety/distractedness considerations though.  If you keep the volume down low enough, shouldn't it be all right?

Matthew

JohnWheat

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 165 posts
  • 60 thanks
Good

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:My Children, Motorsports, Film, Rita Ora and Mila Kunis :)

Posted 14 March 2016 - 08:46 AM

We have a speaker system (robust plastic speaker which can be wiped down easily enough but far enough away to not cause FB issue in the very unlikely event of damage). In Areas where safety is an issue they're not present. Everywhere that they can heard without being intrusive we have them installed. 

Licensing isn't cheap but productivity is up  :shades: especially at Xmas when people sing along (less these days as we don't seem to have any English staff!). Only issue comes up is the choice of radio station!

Wowie

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 56 posts
  • 22 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Anything outdoors, Reading, Backpacking, Traveling, Good Friends, Good Drinks, Good Music

Posted 14 March 2016 - 02:36 PM

In some poultry operations I worked in, we had them in the live hang area. We did not see distraction as a result of the music, quite the opposite! Employees were more relaxed and got into a rhythm with their work. It was not loud enough to override fire alarms, alarms from any of the belt stop systems, etc, but it was definitely able to be heard. We didn't allow any off color music, but the whole group decided what kind of music to play. When you put it as "Either we'll agree to something, or we won't have music", people tend to be a little more forgiving. Also, putting it on a rotation (a little classic rock one day, soul the next, etc) makes everyone happy.

That being said - It was a waterproof radio, even though it was in live hang. Same for in a small beef operation I was in for a while. The government representatives even enjoyed listening to Bob Seger there.  :shades:

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users