• Quick Navigation
Photo

Declaration of Ethanol in BOP Ingredients List.

Share this

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

GazNicki

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 5 posts
  • 1 thanks
Neutral

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 11 March 2016 - 10:33 AM

Hi All,

I would like to gather the thoughts on the above after a discussion with a Technical Manager for a retailer.

I was under the impression that Ethanol, when used to increase shelf-life of a product, is considered and additive and therefore should be declared on BOP. However, a Technical Manager for a retailer tells me it isn't required to be declared.

What is your take on this? Is the Ethanol a processing aid and therefore not required to be declared, or is it an additive and must be declared?

For information, this is Ethanol that is applied to a finished product immediately prior to being packaged, it is not a part of the mix.

Ehab Nassar

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 137 posts
  • 147 thanks
Excellent

• Egypt
    Egypt

Posted 11 March 2016 - 08:11 PM

Hi GazNicki ,

I agree with you , it shall be declared , it is from more than one dimension :

1. Halal Food : in Halal food for Muslims it is totally prohibited to consume it even if it is a traces in food , accordingly if your food is Halal is per its nature , like fruit , juice , jam ,.. so will violate the Muslims religious rules and it think it is not ethical .
  2. If your product is not Halal for Muslims , I think it is not additive or even processing aid according to " food additive legislation guidance to compliance " , as alcohol could be consumed alone it is considered as an ingredient , think about salt a smoked fish .

http://www.food.gov....-compliance.pdf

I agree totally with you that you should declare it for your consumers , it is more transparent and ethical .

Good luck ,

Ehab

Thanked by 1 Member:

GazNicki

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 5 posts
  • 1 thanks
Neutral

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 14 March 2016 - 11:10 AM

Thanks for that Ehab, glad to see we are on the same page on this one.

moskito

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 412 posts
  • 85 thanks
Excellent

• Germany
    Germany

Posted 19 March 2016 - 03:40 PM

Hi,

ethanol is not an additive even it is used as such. A stuff can be food or additive, not both. Once it is food it always is handled as food.

For me it has to be declared because it is added to the product. It is used like an additive - and it is still active in the final product.

Rgds

moskito

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users