• IFSQN Active
  • 23 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Israel
    Israel

Posted 29 March 2016 - 07:09 AM

hi :)

i found myself wonder where is the line between any regular record and record which shuold be controlled.

how do u decided if given record should be controlled?!

(including: auxiliary records,  temporary records  - before they entering to computer or records shuold keep for very short time etc.)

thanks ,

Ben

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5665 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 29 March 2016 - 11:44 AM

hi :)

i found myself wonder where is the line between any regular record and record which shuold be controlled.

how do u decided if given record should be controlled?!

(including: auxiliary records,  temporary records  - before they entering to computer or records shuold keep for very short time etc.)

thanks ,

Ben

Hi Ben,

afaik, it simply depends on how you choose to define (a) a "record", (b) a "controlled document". In theory this is arbitrary.

From vague memory one set of defs/interpretations was provided within the iso9000 series. Followed by endless streams of arguments in ISO forums which I expect still continue.

The easy way out is to make all documents controlled. Then decide how to control them.

Documentation Control offers infinite permutations  and has already generated an enormous archive of "Procedures". But  the advent of terrabyte(+)  hard drives has somewhat simplified the options. :smile:

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

Thanked by 1 Member:

benjamin_weizmann

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 23 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Israel
    Israel

Posted 29 March 2016 - 11:58 AM

Hi Ben,

afaik, it simply depends on how you choose to define (a) a "record", (b) a "controlled document". In theory this is arbitrary.

From vague memory one set of defs/interpretations was provided within the iso9000 series. Followed by endless streams of arguments in ISO forums which I expect still continue.

The easy way out is to make all documents controlled. Then decide how to control them.

Documentation Control offers infinite permutations  and has already generated an enormous archive of "Procedures". But  the advent of terrabyte(+)  hard drives has somewhat simplified the options. :smile:

thanks u !

do u have a linkedin?

it would be a shame for me lost contact with u.

Benjamin weizmann

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5665 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
    TV
    Movies

Posted 29 March 2016 - 12:16 PM

thanks u !

do u have a linkedin?

it would be a shame for me lost contact with u.

Benjamin weizmann

Hi Ben,

Sadly not yet. Still thinking about it.

But please keep posting !

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

Wowie

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 56 posts
  • 22 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Anything outdoors, Reading, Backpacking, Traveling, Good Friends, Good Drinks, Good Music

Posted 29 March 2016 - 04:48 PM

Hi, Ben! My way may very well not be correct, but this is how I have handled it. Essentially, anything that has been completed and filled out is considered a record, but we have a policy stating the retention period for each type of records (including HR-related, Safety,  Maintenance). Document control is used to demonstrate maintenance of company-created forms to ensure the correct forms are being used and properly maintained. 

I have an over-arching Records Retention Policy that demonstrates how long each *type* of record shall be kept. Anything that is transferred to a computer in full (for instance, we record incoming weights on a paper that then gets entered into a database each day) does not have to be maintained, if that is the regular process for that document trail. Anything that is reviewed as part of Pre-shipment, validation, verification, or traceability is all maintained for a 3-year period, along with anything related to customer specifications or company specifications (so, essentially, all AQL, package checks, incoming/receiving information for all materials).

Our "document control" procedure lists out how we maintain the proper document version, document formatting, document review, and completed record storage. 

Thanked by 2 Members:

benjamin_weizmann

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 23 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Israel
    Israel

Posted 30 March 2016 - 05:14 AM

Hi, Ben! My way may very well not be correct, but this is how I have handled it. Essentially, anything that has been completed and filled out is considered a record, but we have a policy stating the retention period for each type of records (including HR-related, Safety,  Maintenance). Document control is used to demonstrate maintenance of company-created forms to ensure the correct forms are being used and properly maintained. 

I have an over-arching Records Retention Policy that demonstrates how long each *type* of record shall be kept. Anything that is transferred to a computer in full (for instance, we record incoming weights on a paper that then gets entered into a database each day) does not have to be maintained, if that is the regular process for that document trail. Anything that is reviewed as part of Pre-shipment, validation, verification, or traceability is all maintained for a 3-year period, along with anything related to customer specifications or company specifications (so, essentially, all AQL, package checks, incoming/receiving information for all materials).

Our "document control" procedure lists out how we maintain the proper document version, document formatting, document review, and completed record storage. 

thanks u Wowie, its same by us but, we noticed that the workers manage auxiliary lists which are not controlled document.. and when i say "controlled document", i dont mean only to meintenace aspect, but also to uniformity, numbering and other  "document control"'s aspects.

the question is which record i have to force  to uniformity, numbering and keeping. my feelings is that it is excessive to require it for all records, but i'm looking for a rule of thumb than feelings.

Ben

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5665 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
    TV
    Movies

Posted 30 March 2016 - 05:44 AM

Hi Ben,

This thread acted as a precursor to my comments in Post 2 above -

http://www.ifsqn.com...lled-documents/

From my POV, it is often a decision as to what is specifically required by a FS Standard (usually "open") plus choosing a path of least resistance assuming that a PC is available  / some printed documents are  unavoidable.

Of course some nice database packages exist if you have the wherewithal.

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

Thanked by 1 Member:

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users