Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 16 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 04 May 2016 - 09:34 PM

We use temperature probes on our cook line.  Periodically throughout the day we sanitize the probes with hand sanitizer.

I was recently told by USDA that I need to let the sanitizer dry before going back to the task.  Is this something anyone else has experienced?

Further concern this brought up for me is that we require all workers to sanitize their disposable gloves prior to touching food.  They don't let their gloves dry before going to that task.

I'm concerned that if I start getting into this further I will find more issues than solutions.

Any thoughts would be very helpful.

Dr.Khan

DR

• IFSQN Senior
  • 314 posts
  • 132 thanks
Excellent

• Australia
    Australia
  • Interests:Food, Reading technical information,provding technical help in QA,R&D,staff Training, products and processes optimisation, watching documentaries and making presentations
    AM available as consultant in Quality Assurance, Product & process development/ optimisation, staff training and trouble shooting in complex manufacturing Environment

Cal me on +61411588329 to discuss your requirements.

Am available for International Assignments

Posted 04 May 2016 - 11:10 PM

Hi Abutera

If you are using a chlorine based sanitiser then it is important for two reason to ensure that tools and hand are totally dry before reuse.

1. one is migration of chlorine ions from probe to  the equipment surface (probe holding area), as chlorine ions can cause corrosion so it is important that the probes are completely dry prior to reuse.

2. When you do not dry gloves after sanitization then residual sanitiser can contaminate food  and affect the taste so it is a requirement that hands  (gloves) should be totally dry prior to handling food.

i hope this will explain why USDA are asking to ensure that probe sand gloves should be fully dry prior to reuse or handling food.

Kind regards

Humaid Khan

Managing Director

Halal International Services

Sydney Australia

We Work Globally

Thanked by 1 Member:

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5665 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 05 May 2016 - 06:25 AM

We use temperature probes on our cook line.  Periodically throughout the day we sanitize the probes with hand sanitizer.

I was recently told by USDA that I need to let the sanitizer dry before going back to the task.  Is this something anyone else has experienced?

Further concern this brought up for me is that we require all workers to sanitize their disposable gloves prior to touching food.  They don't let their gloves dry before going to that task.

I'm concerned that if I start getting into this further I will find more issues than solutions.

Any thoughts would be very helpful.

Hi ebutera,

Offhand i would suggest to rinse the sanitizers off. Or do the USDA not allow this ?

It may also relate to the unknown sanitizer, process, product, location of probe etc.

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

Thanked by 1 Member:

ebutera

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 16 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 05 May 2016 - 03:40 PM

We use an alcohol based sanitizer.  That is why I haven't been concerned with drying or rinsing.

moskito

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 412 posts
  • 85 thanks
Excellent

• Germany
    Germany

Posted 15 May 2016 - 01:17 PM

Dear ebutera,

sanitizers should not contaminate the food - even if they are "food" like ethyl alcohol. They have to be removed. In the case of ethyl alcohol you can let equipment dry (as proposed) or rinse with e.g. water (drinking water quaility). This is a legal requirement in Europe.

Regards

moskito

Thanked by 1 Member:

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users