• Quick Navigation
Photo

What are the likely CCP's in milling of wheat?

Share this

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic
- - - - -

Rajengovender

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 6 posts
  • 4 thanks
Neutral

• South Africa
    South Africa

Posted 11 May 2016 - 12:04 PM

Hi All,

In the HACCP study of milling , what are the likely CCP's be?

brianweber

Brian

• IFSQN Senior
  • 293 posts
  • 114 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Cheese, Coffee, Golf, Scrabble, Food Safety, HACCP, BBQing

Posted 11 May 2016 - 12:54 PM

In the actual milling procedure there wouldn't be any. I am assuming that you load out also? Bags or bulk you should have an inline magnet. After it is bagged you would have a metal detector. The metal detector would be your CCP. Now in bulk loading you are going through how many screens prior to final loading? You could make your last screen a CCP, but I would more than likely make it a CP, checking it after every load.

Brian

Thanked by 1 Member:

JHymas

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Associate
  • 8 posts
  • 2 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 11 May 2016 - 02:11 PM

We clean and temper wheat over a series of magnets, an optical sort, and x-ray, and another series of magnets but our only CCP is our terminal magnet at the load out end of the system where the wheat goes into rail cars. 

Thanked by 1 Member:

fawumiabiodun

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 2 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Nigeria
    Nigeria

Posted 11 May 2016 - 04:34 PM

Can u list control measures having on the line?before we can say this is CCP

JHymas

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Associate
  • 8 posts
  • 2 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 11 May 2016 - 05:27 PM

We run challenge tests (ex. pucks through the metal detectors), monitor kickouts during and after processing, calibrate equipment to keep it within acceptable levels, and sample finished product before it is cleared for shipment. A CCP is the critical step in which a hazard is controlled... meaning the last step in which the hazard can be eliminated or brought to an acceptable level. For us, it is our terminal magnet because it is the last place in the process where we can control the metal hazard. 

Thanked by 1 Member:

GMO

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 2,913 posts
  • 733 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 12 May 2016 - 07:49 AM

Personally I'm not crazy about magnets being CCPs.  It's one of those things where you have to be really careful you define your hazard well.  For example, if you are trying to remove "metal contamination" then a magnet won't work, it only works for "ferrous metal contamination" and that excludes high grade stainless steel which is likely to be present in your plant.

In the past I've seen sieving as a CCP in a flour mill.  That said, they only checked it weekly for integrity, by which time the flour had been despatched.  We also once had contamination arising from part of the line after the final sieve which was picked up in our sieve tailings.  So it's just one of those things that HACCP is designed for; really specify your hazards well at every stage then the CCPs will jump out at you.

Rajengovender

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 6 posts
  • 4 thanks
Neutral

• South Africa
    South Africa

Posted 12 May 2016 - 11:53 AM

I am planning to audit a mill & wanted additional info  on the HACCP as I received communication from the mill that they do not have any ccp's. My understanding is a metal detector at end of line  after filling out.

JHymas

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Associate
  • 8 posts
  • 2 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 12 May 2016 - 01:59 PM

Personally I'm not crazy about magnets being CCPs.  It's one of those things where you have to be really careful you define your hazard well.  For example, if you are trying to remove "metal contamination" then a magnet won't work, it only works for "ferrous metal contamination" and that excludes high grade stainless steel which is likely to be present in your plant.

In the past I've seen sieving as a CCP in a flour mill.  That said, they only checked it weekly for integrity, by which time the flour had been despatched.  We also once had contamination arising from part of the line after the final sieve which was picked up in our sieve tailings.  So it's just one of those things that HACCP is designed for; really specify your hazards well at every stage then the CCPs will jump out at you.

That's very interesting. Years ago when we first starts using HACCP principles, we didn't have any CCPs. Then we worked with a consultant after having taken a HACCP training course hoping to streamline our procedures and we were told that our optical sort and x-ray also needed to be CCPs and that made no sense to us. We had a supplier audit and were told that no, only the terminal metal detector would be and then recently while working with a different consultant to prepare for an SQF audit, when we went through the hazard analysis, we were told that because the terminal metal detector over the rail car loader is the last place in the flow that we can prevent the hazard, it has to be a CCP. Sometimes it seems to me that much of this is open to interpretation and if you put ten people in a room, you'd get five different answers. I do plan to pass this on. I'll be interested to see what the rest of the team thinks.  :smile:

Share this

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users