• IFSQN Active
  • 3 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 01 July 2016 - 11:40 AM

Hi

My company has just switched to a different version of SharePoint for it's document control.

My question is that all my documents as I enter them into the new system are automatically given a version number within SharePoint of 1.0.

Can I change the version numbers on my documents to match this?

Or do I need, for continuity, to keep the document the same version number and try to change the version number within the new SharePoint site?

If it's the latter does anyone know a simple way to alter the version on the database without multiple checking out and resaving to boost the number?

Any advice would be great

Jo

Shaind

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Associate
  • 4 posts
  • 4 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 01 July 2016 - 12:38 PM

The way in which I would handle this would be to place a section in your document control policy stating that all documents as they are entered into SharePoint for enhanced control shall have their version numbers reverted to 1.0, indicating they are part of the new system. Make sure that the document change log or revision history (or however your are referring to it) reflects this, too. If you're on good terms with your certifying body's auditor, maybe check with him/her, as well (since s/he will be the one dinging you during an audit if s/he disagrees with this).

Version numbers are a great way to track the life of a document, watch to be sure the most up-to-date one is posted, and many other things I'm sure...but ultimately, I've seen that they're rather arbitrary (can you get five people to agree on the difference between a major and a minor revision, or when a change is small enough not to need a new version number?). So long as you and your company control the document, I'd say you're golden.

Thanked by 1 Member:

mzenas

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 28 posts
  • 4 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 01 July 2016 - 05:20 PM

I recently went through this.  All I did was change the document back to revision 1 and made a note in the revision history block.  There was no issue with a recent ISO 9001 recertification audit.  Just make sure you make your documents on the old SharePoint not accessible if you are still straddling both SharePoint versions like we are. 

Thanked by 1 Member:

Jcopping

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 3 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 05 July 2016 - 02:21 PM

Many thanks to both Shaind and Mzenas great advice from both of you. I can now crack on and get all 400 documents transferred now...... :eekout:

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users