Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 13 posts
  • 1 thanks
Neutral

• Pakistan
    Pakistan

Posted 19 January 2017 - 11:54 AM

Would like to know from food microbiologists, how do they weigh powdered samples? or handle a particular sample while weighing?

What tools/accessories do they use while sampling asceptically?

Dr Vu

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 235 posts
  • 51 thanks
Good

• Canada
    Canada
  • Interests:Action movies...

Posted 19 January 2017 - 12:20 PM

what  are you weighing it for? is it for a negative/ positive test  eg pathogen or a   its a gereral count  like APC?

i dont know if my question has significance in answering you  but please explain some more?

A vu in time , saves nine

Thanked by 1 Member:

wafa

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 13 posts
  • 1 thanks
Neutral

• Pakistan
    Pakistan

Posted 19 January 2017 - 12:23 PM

Dr Vu,

I need to weigh powdered spices like turmeric, coriander, chilli samples, for test like TVC, coliform and salmonella etc, I want to know about accessories for ascepting sampling used in various industries on lab scale? 

Like we used paper; which does not comes in sterile sampling. 

Dr Vu

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 235 posts
  • 51 thanks
Good

• Canada
    Canada
  • Interests:Action movies...

Posted 19 January 2017 - 12:57 PM

sorry this is not my forte byut will try to give you my 2 cents

are you doing the test or you will send out? if you will send out then all you have to do is know your minimum weight samples needed by the lab and  do your own  prep by scaling inhouse  like 3 scoops  of saffron gives approx 150g etc. then  you add another 1/2 scoop  extra  .. and let the lab weigh  the stuff when they receive it

all you need is your gloves  which you will have to change sample-too-sample, some sterile bags and some  cleaned sanitized hygienic utensils

plus your  sampler must be really trained otherwise you will accept   / reject when its not necessary

A vu in time , saves nine

wafa

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 13 posts
  • 1 thanks
Neutral

• Pakistan
    Pakistan

Posted 20 January 2017 - 09:26 AM

No I am weighing myself at lab scale for testing purpose. And Like what tools or accessories should be considered to aid for microbiological sampling? This is my question.

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5662 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 20 January 2017 - 11:42 AM

Dr Vu,

I need to weigh powdered spices like turmeric, coriander, chilli samples, for test like TVC, coliform and salmonella etc, I want to know about accessories for ascepting sampling used in various industries on lab scale? 

Like we used paper; which does not comes in sterile sampling. 

Hi wafa,

Hopefully this answers yr queries -

Attached File  micro - cutting and weighing samples.pdf   180.8KB   17 downloads

https://www.fsis.usd...atory-guidebook

This famous FDA micro. resource is also highly informative -

http://www.fda.gov/F.../ucm2006949.htm

Micro. labs normally employ qualified personnel. I'm sure they will also be competent to answer yr operational queries.

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

Thanked by 1 Member:

Ryan M.

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,326 posts
  • 479 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Reading, crosswords, passionate discussions, laughing at US politics.

Posted 25 January 2017 - 10:28 PM

Depends on what you are sampling from.  Ease of access and reach need to be considered.

There are triers that can be used for harder to access products for sampling or a more representative sample.  There are triers that come in a wide variety of sizes for appropriate sampling and specifically for powder based samples.

http://www.sampling....owdertrier.html

Less expensive option would be a scoop that is easily cleanable.  These also come in pre-sterilized plastic bags, or there are scoops you can sterilize in your autoclave.  The downside of scoops is hard to use in difficult to access materials and they are not as representative as the trier.  They only take what is on the top portion.  However, they are very easy to use.

For containment of the samples I recommend whirl-pak bags.  Easy to use, cheap, and sterile.

Mohammed Sharaby

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 2 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Egypt
    Egypt

Posted 12 February 2017 - 05:39 PM

U can used Sterilized Spoons

and spatula

Sterilize them Using Hot Oven packed in aluminium foil

or 70% ethyl alcohol then ignition

Share this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: sampling, food, microbiology, powder, weighing, spices, ready to eat, accuracy, asceptic handling

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users