• Quick Navigation
Photo

Which certification for food packaging printing unit & inks?

Share this

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

lecoutree

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 8 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Germany
    Germany

Posted 31 January 2017 - 11:04 AM

We want to develop and sell printers+inks for EU and US and other regions food packaging market.

For our customers (printing companies, converter) and their customers (brand owner, retailer, discounter) we want to document our food packaging quality as good as possible, including external auditing (or even certification?).

I have three questions:

1. How far do the GMP and food compliance requirements go? Do we have to ask our hardware suppliers (e.g. flexible tubes for the ink management) for food compliance or GMP? We don’t and even our customers do not process the food but only the food packaging.
  2. Is a certification helpful for us as we are printer manufacturer or is it only helpful for our customers (e.g. printing company)?
  3. Would you recommend a certification by BRC, IFS, SQF, FSSC22000 or other?

Thank you!

Andy

CMHeywood

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 457 posts
  • 119 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 01 February 2017 - 09:31 PM

Direct food contact or indirect food contact?

If direct food contact ink, you will need to meet FDA regulations.  If indirect food contact, your customers will need to provide a functional barrier that prevents anything at a harmful level migrating form the ink into the food.

As you probably know, there is no harmonized EU regulation that deals with ink used in food packaging.  Switzerland does have an ink regulation:  http://www.eupia.org/index.php?id=30

GMP does not guarantee food safety compliance.  You may find a supplier that states that they follow GMP guidelines but their product is not suitable for food contact surfaces.

Depending on the food safety maturity of your customers, they may or may not asked about food safety, GMP, etc.  However, they will probably ask about the food contact compliance of your inks and your printers (for example, could lubricants from the printer get on the printed material).

Thanked by 1 Member:

SQFconsultant

SQFconsultant

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 4,629 posts
  • 1135 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Just when I thought I was out - They pulled me back in!!!

Posted 02 February 2017 - 10:06 AM

SQF Code Level 2.

All the Best,

All Rights Reserved,

Without Prejudice,

Glenn Oster.

Glenn Oster Consulting, LLC -

SQF System Development | Internal Auditor Training | eConsultant

Martha's Vineyard Island, MA - Restored Republic

http://www.GCEMVI.XYZ

http://www.GlennOster.com

lecoutree

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 8 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Germany
    Germany

Posted 02 February 2017 - 05:23 PM

SQF Code Level 2.

Thank you for the answer!

But why SQF? Is there any advantage compared to BRC, which is more common on Europe?

Is it really necessary or helpful to have a GFSI certification for the printing unit or is it only important that the site where the packaging is printed has a certificate? I mean we supply the Printer and the ink (only a tool and a "raw material" but not the food packaging itself.

Regards

Andy

CMHeywood

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 457 posts
  • 119 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 02 February 2017 - 05:36 PM

SQF Level 2 = Food Safety Program

SQF Level 3 = Food Safety and Quality Programs

To get SQF certifications you have to meet the requirements in Module 2 and the other module the aligns with your industry sector.

All the sectors listed in the current SQF code involved some sort of food activity.  You have no direct activities involving food so I would say that SQF, or any other GFSI type certification would not be suitable.

If your customers are using your printers and inks to make food contact packaging, then they will ask what USA FDA, European and other country regulations you meet.  If the inks are not for direct food contact, then your customers must determine for themselves if the have a functional barrier between the ink and the food product.

If you can show that no contamination is coming from the printer, then the food contact (unprinted side?) will not be contaminated.  I don't know if the rollers would have to be a certain type of rubber or polymer.

Thanked by 1 Member:

Sharon (Dewsbury)

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 133 posts
  • 71 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 03 February 2017 - 12:04 PM

Hi,

we manufacture food packaging (printed carton board sleeves).

Our customers regularly ask us, (and therefore we have to ask our suppliers) about migration potential. We have inks for non food products which are not suitable for our food packaging. We use LOW MIGRATION inks on our food packaging and our ink suppliers send us declarations about the contents of the inks to state it is suitable for food packaging. ie compliant with EuIPA, REACH, SVHC, BPA free,GMO free, Nut free. Most of our ink suppliers are ISO9001. Very few are BRC but life would be easier for us and our customers if they where. BRC would assure us of GMP & Tractability etc. additional to the migration. If they only have ISO9001 we have to ask for other information to satisfy our/ and our customer needs. 

redfox

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 481 posts
  • 163 thanks
Excellent

• Philippines
    Philippines

Posted 06 February 2017 - 09:38 AM

Hello Lecoutree,

The best thing is to ask your buyers what certification they need. Mostly certification for a certain standard is market driven or what your clients requested certification for a specific standard.

regards,

redfox

Anand457

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 4 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Saudi Arabia
    Saudi Arabia

Posted 21 February 2017 - 11:33 AM

SQF Code level 2 certification will indicates food packaging and unit system.

ISO 9001 Certification

proiso

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 1 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• India
    India

Posted 03 March 2020 - 05:22 AM

What a useful information provided by this blog! It’s remarkable. Thanks for helping me out… I will definitely get in touch with your blogs

Share this

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users