• Quick Navigation
Photo

Is it OK to Wipe HDPE Food Safe Bottles Landing on Floor?

Share this

Best Answer , 23 May 2017 - 09:27 AM

I'd be a bit pragmatic with this.  What is the risk?  Is there a risk of contaminating the bottle?  If that risk is there, is it removed by cleaning?  If so, validate it, write a procedure and train it out.  If not, ensure it's rigorously banned.  The real solution is to prevent the packaging landing on the floor of course.

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic
- - - - -

dbehrmann

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 19 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 22 May 2017 - 10:11 PM

We are  wrestling with high volumes of "waste" and currently we have the rule of thumb, if it falls on the floor, immediately throw it into unsalable waste--not suitable even for regrind.  I am unable to find where this "ruling" came from; but believe three years ago when we went down the lane of "food safety" we had a consensus that it only makes good sense not to reuse at all anything that has fallen on the floor.  I am now being challenged and would like to know if there is anything that actually states a similar rule?  Does anyone out there deal with the same issue?

Thank you!  

D. Behrmann

APPAJI

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 32 posts
  • 2 thanks
Neutral

• India
    India

Posted 23 May 2017 - 01:50 AM

WE HAVE A DROP POLICY. So discard any thing which falls on floor is a good practice. You can think logically and have answer to your actions if you are doing anything else say wiping. How are you sure it will not effect Food? is the question.

REGARDS

Appaji 

Thanked by 1 Member:

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5665 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 23 May 2017 - 04:45 AM

We are  wrestling with high volumes of "waste" and currently we have the rule of thumb, if it falls on the floor, immediately throw it into unsalable waste--not suitable even for regrind.  I am unable to find where this "ruling" came from; but believe three years ago when we went down the lane of "food safety" we had a consensus that it only makes good sense not to reuse at all anything that has fallen on the floor.  I am now being challenged and would like to know if there is anything that actually states a similar rule?  Does anyone out there deal with the same issue?

Thank you!  

D. Behrmann

Hi DB,

You omitted to mention what kind of bottle usage / product involved.

In some previous related queries for direct food processing, the decision may be justifiable based on official SOPs.

One (obvious) defence is that the conservative option is risk-free from a safety POV.

Financial considerations (significant losses ?) may justify a closer look of course. Possibly also at handling techniques ?

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

Thanked by 1 Member:

GMO

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 2,849 posts
  • 726 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 23 May 2017 - 09:27 AM   Best Answer

I'd be a bit pragmatic with this.  What is the risk?  Is there a risk of contaminating the bottle?  If that risk is there, is it removed by cleaning?  If so, validate it, write a procedure and train it out.  If not, ensure it's rigorously banned.  The real solution is to prevent the packaging landing on the floor of course.

Thanked by 1 Member:

FurFarmandFork

Food Safety Consultant, Production Supervisor

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,264 posts
  • 590 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 23 May 2017 - 02:46 PM

unsalable waste--not suitable even for regrind. 

Time for a risk assessment!

HDPE melt temperatures normally well exceed 100ºC, so you have little biological concerns in using this stuff for regrind. So what are the other hazards that could be introduced from the floor?

Chemical hazards?

Physical hazards or contamination that will pollute your resin stream and cause holes in bottles?

Honestly if I was running an HDPE facility I would keep the floors reasonably clean and free of dust/debris and very much consider that product for regrind. There's practically zero microbiological concerns and the only other "unknowns" would have to come from my floor, which I can control. There may be other hazards in your facility so approach cautiously, but go through a risk assessment and see what could possibly go wrong. If you can put controls in place to address those concerns then full sail ahead.

Austin Bouck
Owner/Consultant at Fur, Farm, and Fork.
Consulting for companies needing effective, lean food safety systems and solutions.

Subscribe to the blog at furfarmandfork.com for food safety research, insights, and analysis.

Thanked by 1 Member:

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users