Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 38 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 07 June 2017 - 11:25 AM

I was recently told that one of our plants was informed by the FDA that if you process acidified foods your restrooms must be cleaned daily. I am trying to find this in the code. Can anyone lend assistance? 

Scampi

Fellow

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 5,444 posts
  • 1507 thanks
Excellent

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 07 June 2017 - 12:26 PM

This is all I could find

• Toilet facilities − Each plant must provide employees with adequate, readily accessible toilet facilities. Toilet facilities must be kept clean and must not be a potential source of contamination of food, food-contact surfaces, or food-packaging materials

www.fda.gov/downloads/Food/GuidanceRegulation/GuidanceDocumentsRegulatoryInformation/UCM526507.pdf

Please stop referring to me as Sir/sirs

FurFarmandFork

Food Safety Consultant, Production Supervisor

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,264 posts
  • 590 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 07 June 2017 - 02:18 PM

Food Code and CFR GMP's don't include any cleaning interval requirements for toilets, nor do the acidified foods regulations or old school FDA sanitary standards. All of them simply state that they need to be "maintained in a sanitary manner" or "cleaned at a frequency which prevents the adulteration of food" or something similar.

Someone misheard or some FDA person is taking what they've seen as common practice and now saying it's a requirement.

Austin Bouck
Owner/Consultant at Fur, Farm, and Fork.
Consulting for companies needing effective, lean food safety systems and solutions.

Subscribe to the blog at furfarmandfork.com for food safety research, insights, and analysis.

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users