• IFSQN Member
  • 74 posts
  • 1 thanks
Neutral

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 10 August 2017 - 08:35 AM

Dear all

My question is for the clause 3.9 traceability BRC for the ISSUE 5 (packaging and packaging materials ) 

In my company we have a traceability route until the product been stored and when we receive from the customer the bar code. We can trace all the process step . 

However, when we load the truck because of the high volume of the product , we do not know which product has been put into the trailer unless the customer gives the BAR code of the product. 

So, if the customer(4-5 order daily ) after a month sends ONLY the delivery note we can not trace the product , we need the bar code from the customer.

As a solution we say to the customer to provide us BAR code and the delivery note .

Is it a non-conformity that we can not do vice versa from the delivery note or not  ? 

Shall , I put it together this process ?

Thank you 

Edited by Charles.C, 12 August 2017 - 02:30 AM.
edited

Madam A. D-tor

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 644 posts
  • 230 thanks
Excellent

• Netherlands
    Netherlands
  • Interests:meat, meat products, ready to eat, food safety, QMS, audits, hazard analyses, IFS, BRC, SQF, HACCP, ISO 9001, ISO 22000

Posted 10 August 2017 - 11:38 AM

How is it possible you can not trace what is in the truck?

How is the truck loaded? How does expedition staff know what to pick?

There must be some information.

You need to know this. If you do not know which batches are send to which customers, you will not be able to recall products effectively.

Kind Regards,

Madam A. D-tor

Thanked by 1 Member:

smart17

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 74 posts
  • 1 thanks
Neutral

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 10 August 2017 - 11:46 AM

Hello Madam A. D-Tor 

thank you for your answer

look my answers beleow your questions 

How is the truck loaded?

when order comes we pick up the right product into the trailer.

How does expedition staff know what to pick?

Each product has a different color bag and also there is a label on each bag  

When we have to  recall products we recall the whole trailer and NOT individually 

How is it possible you can not trace what is in the truck?

Each trailer could fit around 500 bags and we have 20-25 loading every day and we don to have any scanning system. I have asked them the same question but there is not time . Do you have any recommendation for scanning products ?I would like to apply this to the company. 

the issue here is we do not record which label bag left the factory to the customer.

Madam A. D-tor

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 644 posts
  • 230 thanks
Excellent

• Netherlands
    Netherlands
  • Interests:meat, meat products, ready to eat, food safety, QMS, audits, hazard analyses, IFS, BRC, SQF, HACCP, ISO 9001, ISO 22000

Posted 10 August 2017 - 12:56 PM

How do you know if the staff picks the right batch? Are the batches colour coded?

Are you working FIFO or FEFO? Or are you specifically producing on order?

If you recalls the whole truck, you probably know what is in it. (Otherwise you do not know what That is the traceability that you need.

I am not sure, I understand the problem.

You can trace from delivered product with bar code to process data and raw materials.

You know which batches are in the truck. So you know which batches goes to which customers.

What more information do you want to complete your traceability?

I have forgotten which business you are in. You are referring to BRC IOP, so I suppose, you are in packaging materials. I just can not figure out which packaging materials is packed in bags.

Kind Regards,

Madam A. D-tor

Thanked by 1 Member:

smart17

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 74 posts
  • 1 thanks
Neutral

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 11 August 2017 - 08:04 AM

Hi Madam A. D-tor , 

thank you for my answers below your questions 

How do you know if the staff picks the right batch?

When the orders come , the loading stuff takes the appropriate product ,the bag is transparent and there is  label of the bag which indicates the product. 

Are the batches colour coded?

The bags yes , bar codes no (everything in White)

Are you working FIFO or FEFO?

No , Or

are you specifically producing on order?

there is a long term contract the customer and we known their needs weekly.

You know which batches are in the truck.  No we do not known which bags are inside the trucks this our major problem !!!!

What more information do you want to complete your traceability? I need to known the batches inside the truck 

Yes i am in packaging material for BRC for juices companies 

Madam A. D-tor

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 644 posts
  • 230 thanks
Excellent

• Netherlands
    Netherlands

Posted 13 August 2017 - 05:32 PM

Dear Smart17,

I am sorry, I can not help you any further, cause I do not understand your situation.

Somewhere you wrote that you would recall the whole truck. If you recall the whole truck, you need to know what is in it.

If you do not know which batch (lot, production date) is dispatched on which date to which customer, you do not need to recall 1 truck but the 25 loads of a day for a period of ????. Well you are in packaging materials, so probably no real shelf life, so in a bad case you need to recall the products from more than a year back. (365 days * 25 loads * 500 bags) I do not understand how you can be in business, with such a big risk.

I probably totally misunderstand you (I hope!). I can not believe that you do not know what you have produced, what you have in stock and what you have dispatched. Even commercially this is not a good thing.

I hope someone else got the clue and can help you.

Good Luck!

Kind Regards,

Madam A. D-tor

Thanked by 1 Member:

Sharon (Dewsbury)

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 133 posts
  • 71 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 22 August 2017 - 09:22 AM

Hi , I work in packaging too.

If I am understanding you correctly It does sound as if you will get a non conformance.

You are relying on the customer to provide information to perform tractability. You need to control this to the point of delivery to the customer. You need to know what you sent to who and when.

What is your product?

Is it for food contact?

Is it printed with nutritional information?

(e.g. a scenario - if it is printed with an error it will need to be recalled. If the allergen info is printed wrongly this could be a major problem and could cause allergic reaction if it misleads the consumer who has an allergy to the ingredients which are miss printed)

Thanked by 1 Member:

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users