Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 1 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 07 November 2017 - 01:20 AM

We want to pasteurize chillies sauces that will be stored at ambient temperatures. It is preservative free and will be packed in plastic bags. We want to retort or pasteurize the product to get to 12 to 24 months shelf life. 

We have the following questions:

1) At what temperature and time would we have to pasteurize to achieve this?
2) How quick should the product be cooled after pazteurization?
3) Could we achieve a shelf life of more than 24 months? 
4) What processing aids could be used to help?
5) Have any studies been done on this and what were the results?
6) Can this also be done with preservatives (sodium benzoate)and be stored at ambient temperatures and get 24 months shelf life?

FurFarmandFork

Food Safety Consultant, Production Supervisor

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,264 posts
  • 590 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 07 November 2017 - 07:27 PM

If this is sold in the US, you can only use pasteurization if the final pH of your product is below 4.6 (this would be an "acidified food"), otherwise you will need to retort and file a process as a "low-acid food".'

I highly recommend contacting a "process authority" to help you develop the controls needed to make this food safe first, then work on the shelf life you require.

Austin Bouck
Owner/Consultant at Fur, Farm, and Fork.
Consulting for companies needing effective, lean food safety systems and solutions.

Subscribe to the blog at furfarmandfork.com for food safety research, insights, and analysis.

MWidra

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 778 posts
  • 314 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:My Dogs (Beagles),Gardening, SciFi, Video Games (WoW, D3, HoS, PvZ), Classical Music, Legal Stuff, Science Stuff. I'm a Geeky Nerd.

Posted 08 November 2017 - 03:15 PM

If this is sold in the US, you can only use pasteurization if the final pH of your product is below 4.6 (this would be an "acidified food"), otherwise you will need to retort and file a process as a "low-acid food".'

I highly recommend contacting a "process authority" to help you develop the controls needed to make this food safe first, then work on the shelf life you require.

Totally agree. A lot depends on the precise composition of your food product. No matter what you decide upon, it will need to be validated. There are companies who provide services to determine the best way to set up a process.

Martha

"...everything can be taken from a man but one thing:  the last of the human freedoms--to choose one's attitude in any given set of circumstances, to choose one's own way."  Viktor E. Frankl

"Life's like a movie, write your own ending."  The Muppets

Justin Jeffries

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 2 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

Posted 08 November 2017 - 03:18 PM

Have you considered using Nitrogen as part of your packaging process?

let me know if you would like more information about how you can produce nitrogen at very little cost with a N2 Generator from South-Tek Systems

jjeffries@southteksystems.com

http://www.southteksystems.com/

Share this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: sauces

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users