Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 6 posts
  • 3 thanks
Neutral

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 07 November 2017 - 01:07 PM

I am trying to improve my internal inspection program and also meet SQF Edition 8 requirements. There seems to be a distinction between an internal audit and an internal inspection. 

An audit would cover the entire SQF Food Safety System (documentation included). It would basically be an audit similar to what the certification body would conduct.

An inspection is a routine (for us, monthly) inspection covering things like GMPs, building maintenance, equipment, etc. For us, I've been using a checklist format which I've attached. I would like to improve it by having a better way of recording personnel GMPs. I also think a monthly report would also be good so that it's easier to track recurring problems.

Am I heading in the right direction? Does anybody have advice for improvement?

Thanks.

SQFconsultant

SQFconsultant

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 4,632 posts
  • 1135 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Just when I thought I was out - They pulled me back in!!!

Posted 07 November 2017 - 02:23 PM

Internal Auditor and Internal Inspection are names for the same thing - they are both Internal Audits.

I like to keep things simple, so you can do a documentation internal audit or a system IA, GMP IA, Maintenance IA, Contractor IA, etc.

All the Best,

All Rights Reserved,

Without Prejudice,

Glenn Oster.

Glenn Oster Consulting, LLC -

SQF System Development | Internal Auditor Training | eConsultant

Martha's Vineyard Island, MA - Restored Republic

http://www.GCEMVI.XYZ

http://www.GlennOster.com

Dale Ewing

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 5 posts
  • 3 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 07 November 2017 - 05:54 PM

I don't see your attachment.    I  would like to benchmark to your checklist.    Could you email to my work address:  xxxxxxx

Most Respectfully,

Edited by Charles.C, 07 November 2017 - 08:42 PM.
email removed

LauraPC

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 6 posts
  • 3 thanks
Neutral

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 07 November 2017 - 06:56 PM

I just re-uploaded my attachment again - sorry about that. Hopefully you can access it now. I've made quite a few changes to it today.

Attached Files

Thanked by 3 Members:

Dale Ewing

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 5 posts
  • 3 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 08 November 2017 - 02:45 PM

We added some descriptive language to help standardize the perspective of the audit.    Using different team members, this helps 

Attached Files

Thanked by 3 Members:

dfreund

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 87 posts
  • 19 thanks
Good

• United States
    United States

Posted 08 November 2017 - 03:52 PM

At the highest level an Internal Audit will uncover necessary improvements.  Internal inspections should verify you are meeting the standards you have already established.

aab93

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 25 posts
  • 3 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 08 November 2017 - 04:50 PM

Hi LauraPC,

I am relieved that you posed this topic because I am currently in the same situation with my facility's self inspection/internal audit program. I have found the following feeds to be helpful in differentiating between the two. 

http://www.ifsqn.com...lf-inspections/

http://www.ifsqn.com...-audit-program/

I hope this helps!

Hoosiersmoker

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 684 posts
  • 228 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 08 November 2017 - 06:51 PM

This is confusing to me as well. With the roll out of Edition 8 it seems there is more of a focus on internal audits. I just completed an intensive online SQF Edition 8 Internal Auditor training course and it brought out many confusing points. And in Edition 8 Module 13  2.5.5.1 - 2.5.5.5, Inspections and Internal Audits were  described as different and reviews are mentioned separately as well. Internal audits, according to the training, are formal investigations of specific elements of SQF modules to confirm they are functioning per the relevant policy and procedures complete with an Audit Plan identifying: the audit number, Department and Contact person, Auditor(s) involved, Opening and Closing meeting times, dates and locations, Scope, complete schedule and then an Audit Checklist created for that specific Internal Audit with a place for corrective actions to be identified and space for information on their follow up. SOPs, HACCP plans and any other information would be reviewed and taken on the Audit and interviews done with people in the area to determine their understanding of CCPs and procedure. For us that seems like massive overkill. I have a great understanding about internal audits now but am even more confused. Is this what's down the line for us all?

rkb555

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 5 posts
  • 2 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 21 June 2019 - 07:04 PM

This is confusing to me as well. With the roll out of Edition 8 it seems there is more of a focus on internal audits. I just completed an intensive online SQF Edition 8 Internal Auditor training course and it brought out many confusing points. And in Edition 8 Module 13  2.5.5.1 - 2.5.5.5, Inspections and Internal Audits were  described as different and reviews are mentioned separately as well. Internal audits, according to the training, are formal investigations of specific elements of SQF modules to confirm they are functioning per the relevant policy and procedures complete with an Audit Plan identifying: the audit number, Department and Contact person, Auditor(s) involved, Opening and Closing meeting times, dates and locations, Scope, complete schedule and then an Audit Checklist created for that specific Internal Audit with a place for corrective actions to be identified and space for information on their follow up. SOPs, HACCP plans and any other information would be reviewed and taken on the Audit and interviews done with people in the area to determine their understanding of CCPs and procedure. For us that seems like massive overkill. I have a great understanding about internal audits now but am even more confused. Is this what's down the line for us all?

I agree it's very confusing. I break this area down into 2 main parts: An internal facility inspection and an internal audit. The inspection part of it is a more frequent activity, as I see it, of your GMPs and PRPs reviewed on a more frequent basis than the audit. The audit (2.5.5.1) is a system review of all the elements using the checklist of the SQF matrix or an equivalent one. The audit is set on a schedule with annual being the minimum frequency and is a validation activity, The internal inspections (2.5.5.3) which by default are done more frequently is a verification activity. In order to validate something, you need data and data gathering is done through verification. You sift through the data and evaluate each element to determine if the system is effective.

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users