Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 1 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 20 December 2017 - 12:26 AM

Hi, I was wondering what are some benefits of having SQF consultant as a company as well as the approximate costs. 

I work as a QC coordinator and was designated as an SQF practitioner; however, it is extremely difficult to complete everything by myself as we are a small company and not many employees are familiar with the food safety.

Even my self, I am relatively new to the company and it's been only 7 months working as a Quality Control coordinator. 

In this case, would it be better to hire a consultant from outside of the company?

We are trying to be SQF certified (Food Safety Code) facility by July 2018 and the president really wants to achieve this goal. 

Thank you in advance.

SQFconsultant

SQFconsultant

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 4,629 posts
  • 1135 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Just when I thought I was out - They pulled me back in!!!

Posted 20 December 2017 - 02:18 AM

There are a number of factors involved with having a consultant co-develop your SQF 8.0 system.

Professional project fees and expenses vary widely based on if some, most or all of the work is done on-site and of course where the facility is located, size, etc. 

Additionally what Food sectors will be involved, etc.

Best way to determine is to contact an SQF Consultant and discuss your specific needs and have the consultant work up a service offer for you that will lay-out all the costs, estimated expenses, etc.

And, if you want to get certified by July 2018 your consultant should start no later than January - February given someone taking about 30-40 days for everything and then the facility implements in preparation of pre-audit, the desk audit and finally the certification audit.

All the Best,

All Rights Reserved,

Without Prejudice,

Glenn Oster.

Glenn Oster Consulting, LLC -

SQF System Development | Internal Auditor Training | eConsultant

Martha's Vineyard Island, MA - Restored Republic

http://www.GCEMVI.XYZ

http://www.GlennOster.com

Mulan1010

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 249 posts
  • 139 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 20 December 2017 - 09:35 PM

If your company can afford it, I would highly recommend utilizing a consultant.  We were able to do so when we first started SQF and it was a huge help. -  I know there are many consultants out there that would do a great job but you might consider checking to see if the company you are using for your Certification Body has consulting services too. We found it beneficial as the personnel were familiar with each other, they received similar training and have similar thought processes, plus from a business perspective, they seem less likely to step on their own foot if there is a question on something. - Good Luck on your upcoming certification!

susan99

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 11 posts
  • 1 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 20 December 2017 - 10:01 PM

Speaking as a firm that used a consultant (a fairly good one) and have known other experienced with SQF Code Practitioners establish their own program without the benefit of a consultant these are my thoughts...

Not all consultants are created equally. Be very careful of what you are getting for the fee. Some consultants come to your establishment, review your processes and write full, in-depth procedures and offer further guidance and instruction on-going. Others write one or two paragraph procedures with minimal consult and no instruction. 

In my experience, in general USDA establishments have less difficulty meeting SQF code because they are more used to daily regulation. Facilities without daily regulation, such as FDA establishments have a more difficult time meeting SQF code because they are not used to such stringent regulation. Simple things like not using white-out throws some companies for a loop!

Whatever you decide, be sure as the SQF Practitioner, you know your product, practices and procedures. Good luck! 

Ryan M.

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,326 posts
  • 479 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Reading, crosswords, passionate discussions, laughing at US politics.

Posted 20 December 2017 - 11:09 PM

Benefits = consultants can give you that expert knowledge and pass it on (hopefully) so you, or your team, can implement and do the day to day activities for SQF.  They can develop the initial programs and systems.

Drawbacks = if they don't transfer the knowledge and you don't have the necessary resources at the company to maintain SQF the money is wasted as you will find yourself not keeping up with the regular required SQF maintenance.

A lot of consultants will come in and design your systems and programs and leave you be to implement and do the day to day activities.  It really depends on the consultant and the goals you want to have established.

I know upper management doesn't like adding headcount, but honestly...in my opinion and experience, the long run you are better off hiring someone full-time to lead and manage SQF.  Or, at least hire someone as your associate to help you with all of the documentation and record keeping required as this is a huge part of an effective SQF system.  Plus, if you develop the system yourself you will gain that first hand experience and be a much more valuable employee and QA person in the larger world of the food industry (making you a more attractive candidate for other employment).

Good luck in whatever you decide.

Thanked by 1 Member:

kidshaircuts

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 1 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 18 May 2020 - 05:55 PM

There are a number of factors involved with having a consultant co-develop your SQF 8.0 system.

Professional project fees and expenses vary widely based on if some, most or all of the work is done on-site and of course where the facility is located, size, etc. 

Additionally what Food sectors will be involved, etc.

Best way to determine is to contact an SQF Consultant and discuss your specific needs and have the consultant work up a service offer for you that will lay-out all the costs, estimated expenses, etc.

And, if you want to get certified by July 2018 your consultant should start no later than January - February given someone taking about 30-40 days for everything and then the facility implements in preparation of pre-audit, the desk audit and finally the certification audit.

thanks for info

SQFconsultant

SQFconsultant

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 4,629 posts
  • 1135 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Just when I thought I was out - They pulled me back in!!!

Posted 18 May 2020 - 06:16 PM

You are welcome and seeing it is your first posting on the board - good afternoon and welcome to IFSQN as well!

All the Best,

All Rights Reserved,

Without Prejudice,

Glenn Oster.

Glenn Oster Consulting, LLC -

SQF System Development | Internal Auditor Training | eConsultant

Martha's Vineyard Island, MA - Restored Republic

http://www.GCEMVI.XYZ

http://www.GlennOster.com

Share this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: sqf consultant, sqf safety code

0 user(s) are reading this topic