Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 51 posts
  • 2 thanks
Neutral

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 25 January 2018 - 10:02 PM

Hi- I found this for the EU labelling rules-  if we are selling only fish do we have to do this? I mean- if our label says "smelt", does it have to say smelt (fish)? It seems to me that stating the name of the fish would clearly refer to the allergenic ingredient? Maybe it just needs to be in bold type?  Similarly for wheat crumbs (wheat) - this seems silly? I would think it would be wheat crumbs- with wheat in bold type? Or is it enough to just state them as is?  

• Where several ingredients or processing aids in a food originates from a single allergenic ingredient, the labelling should make this clear for each ingredient or processing aid concerned. For example, skimmed milk powder, whey (milk), lactose (milk)
  •  
  • Where the name of the food (such as a box of eggs or bag of peanuts) clearly refers to the allergenic ingredients concerned, there is no need for a separate declaration of the allergenic food

GMO

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 2,849 posts
  • 726 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 28 January 2018 - 09:07 AM

Hi- I found this for the EU labelling rules-  if we are selling only fish do we have to do this? I mean- if our label says "smelt", does it have to say smelt (fish)? It seems to me that stating the name of the fish would clearly refer to the allergenic ingredient? Maybe it just needs to be in bold type?  Similarly for wheat crumbs (wheat) - this seems silly? I would think it would be wheat crumbs- with wheat in bold type? Or is it enough to just state them as is?  

• Where several ingredients or processing aids in a food originates from a single allergenic ingredient, the labelling should make this clear for each ingredient or processing aid concerned. For example, skimmed milk powder, whey (milk), lactose (milk)
  •  
  • Where the name of the food (such as a box of eggs or bag of peanuts) clearly refers to the allergenic ingredients concerned, there is no need for a separate declaration of the allergenic food

From memory if it's a single ingredient and stated in the name of the food I don't think it is required, e.g. for a bottle of milk, however, for multiple ingredient products it is required.  In the UK, "smelt" would not be well understood as being a fish in any case.  

Where people put ingredients in brackets that's because the name of the foodstuff is not as per the legislation in the ingredient listing so, for example, as you've stated, you'd say "skimmed milk powder" and "whey (milk)" because the allergen listed in the legislation is "milk" not "whey".  So yes, the correct form for smelt would be "smelt (fish)" but for wheat crumbs if that is really the ingredient it would be "wheat crumbs" but if you actually mean "breadcrumbs" then the listing would have to break that down in any case (so you would list it contains wheat flour and any soy flour improvers etc if present).  You can either break down sub ingredients one by one or combine everything into a full listing.  

I hope that helps.

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users