• IFSQN Member
  • 74 posts
  • 2 thanks
Good

• United States
    United States

Posted 30 January 2018 - 04:17 PM

Hello,

I am working on updating my ingredient/labels.  If we purchase a product that we use in our product and the ingredients states "Manufactured on equipment that also processes products containing peanuts/tree nuts" do I have to state that on my label?  We do not have peanuts or tree nuts in our production at all.  All of our allergens are the same for every product we produce.  But, this could become a new product so I need to know if it does do I need to add that to our label.    

Thank you for any help.

FurFarmandFork

Food Safety Consultant, Production Supervisor

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,264 posts
  • 590 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 30 January 2018 - 08:32 PM

See similar topic here. http://www.ifsqn.com...eling-concerns/

You have no legal obligation to include it on the label and it provides you with no protection if the allergens are actually there. So it's your call based on your confidence with your supplier.

Austin Bouck
Owner/Consultant at Fur, Farm, and Fork.
Consulting for companies needing effective, lean food safety systems and solutions.

Subscribe to the blog at furfarmandfork.com for food safety research, insights, and analysis.

Ryan M.

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,329 posts
  • 479 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Reading, crosswords, passionate discussions, laughing at US politics.

Posted 31 January 2018 - 02:03 AM

Eek...honestly, seek more information from your supplier.  A LOT of companies label products this way (which I loathe) to leave them an out.

If your supplier can't commit to a guarantee of NOT containing peanuts or tree nuts, then you have to really question if you want to use that supplier.  You likely don't want to add that disclaimer to your products, and you put yourself at risk if you don't have some sort of monitoring and controls in place.

If I were you I would kick them out and find someone that can provide some guarantees....not worth the risk / headache in my opinion.  I wish the FDA would ban those statements on packaging.

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users