• Quick Navigation
Photo

SQF ed.8 2.1.3.2 What if there's no senior manager?

Share this

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

loveforfood

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 44 posts
  • 7 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 31 January 2018 - 08:21 PM

Hi,

I have a concern about the monthly update to senior management by the SQF practitioner. I'm the QA Manager of a small company. Our VP of Operations (I was reporting to him) quit 2 months ago and our CEO is never at the plant, so right now there is no senior site manager to report to. My question is how do I report to Senior Site Management if doesn't exist. I could do a monthly report and send to the CEO but I know he won't answer or will answer "I'll take care of it" (without really doing it). Or company is in a transition period of being acquired by another company but I would like to know how to comply with that section of the code. I appreciate any advice you can give me.

Thank you!

GMO

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 2,789 posts
  • 721 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 06 February 2018 - 08:38 AM

I would say it does no harm to report an update to the CEO each month.  Just keep it top level and in a way it doesn't matter if he responds as you've reported it to him.  In the meantime, it sounds like you are one of the senior managers on site.

FurFarmandFork

Food Safety Consultant, Production Supervisor

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,264 posts
  • 590 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 06 February 2018 - 07:13 PM

Agree with GMO, make sure a report is in place to communicate your QMS stuff, and while on-site you can pretty much consider yourself the senior manager.

Austin Bouck
Owner/Consultant at Fur, Farm, and Fork.
Consulting for companies needing effective, lean food safety systems and solutions.

Subscribe to the blog at furfarmandfork.com for food safety research, insights, and analysis.

jcieslowski

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 196 posts
  • 61 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 06 February 2018 - 09:50 PM

I would personally cover this in 2 ways:

1. Monthly email to the owner/CEO/whoever that doesn't check his email with updates - follow up with phone calls or whatever you're currently doing for critical issues you might need him for.

2. Hold a staff meeting monthly where you communicate the issues to the rest of the team - document it.  Basically, you're acting as the senior manager in this case.

I'd also try and figure out the plan short and medium term for replacing that position.  What if you want to implement something but the production manager doesn't?  How is that being resolved now?  You need to have a resource that is committed to helping achieve your food safety objectives.

Mulan1010

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 249 posts
  • 139 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 12 February 2018 - 06:47 PM

One of the other requirements of SQF is that you have to have stipulations in place on who will fill in when key personnel are not available.   Whoever is designated to cover the position is the one that must be informed and if he/she if not at the plant then I would e-mail him/her a report monthly so you have documentation to show you kept him/her in the loop.  If you have a conference call then do so through your e-mail account for documentation. 

As jcieslowski suggested, it would be wise to also hold a meeting with any other managers and/or supervisors who are on site, at least one representative from each area, to update them as well since the code does say "senior management" not just manager and the guidelines do not specify it as just one person either.  

DNA Seq

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 9 posts
  • 3 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 12 February 2018 - 08:09 PM

One thing to watch out for regarding 2.1.3 During our 8.0 audit this past week we caught a minor for not documenting management responses to updates. Not only must your updates to senior management be documented you must have documented responses to those updates. 

Thanked by 2 Members:

DNA Seq

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 9 posts
  • 3 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 12 February 2018 - 08:09 PM

One thing to watch out for regarding 2.1.3 During our 8.0 audit this past week we caught a minor for not documenting management responses to updates. Not only must your updates to senior management be documented you must have documented responses to those updates. 

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5662 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 13 February 2018 - 04:25 AM

One thing to watch out for regarding 2.1.3 During our 8.0 audit this past week we caught a minor for not documenting management responses to updates. Not only must your updates to senior management be documented you must have documented responses to those updates

That would appear to be a logical auditor expectation but, assuming not specifically Standard required(?), in reality ??

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

Tony-C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 4,223 posts
  • 1288 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:My main interests are sports particularly football, pool, scuba diving, skiing and ten pin bowling.

Posted 13 February 2018 - 06:08 AM

That would appear to be a logical auditor expectation but, assuming not specifically Standard required(?), in reality ??

It is specified in SQF Code Edition 8:
2.1.3.2 The SQF practitioner (s) shall update senior site management on a (minimum) monthly basis on matters impacting the implementation and maintenance of the SQF System. The updates and management responses shall be documented. The SQF System in its entirety shall be reviewed at least annually. 

Kind regards,

Tony

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5662 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 13 February 2018 - 09:04 AM

Hi Tony,

Thks for above.

Unfortunately would appear the OP has a guaranteed NC.

Certainly helps to read the Standard (if one has it).

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

GMO

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 2,789 posts
  • 721 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 13 February 2018 - 02:51 PM

It is specified in SQF Code Edition 8:
2.1.3.2 The SQF practitioner (s) shall update senior site management on a (minimum) monthly basis on matters impacting the implementation and maintenance of the SQF System. The updates and management responses shall be documented. The SQF System in its entirety shall be reviewed at least annually. 

Kind regards,

Tony

I take it a "read receipt" wouldn't do?  

I think as a Technical person though you do have to sometimes approach a problem thinking "have I done what I can?"  If you've explained the above to the senior manager and he's still not prepared to do his bit, sometimes you have to let the NC happen.

Thanked by 2 Members:

Chris347

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 24 posts
  • 1 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 05 October 2018 - 09:12 PM

I take it a "read receipt" wouldn't do?  

I think as a Technical person though you do have to sometimes approach a problem thinking "have I done what I can?"  If you've explained the above to the senior manager and he's still not prepared to do his bit, sometimes you have to let the NC happen.

Does anyone know if just having meeting sign-in sheets will suffice for being documented or should I type up some kind of meeting minutes?

jcieslowski

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 196 posts
  • 61 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 08 October 2018 - 12:19 PM

I always do a basic minutes.  I just cover topics discussed, key points, and follow up / action items.

The auditor isn't going to heavily scrutinize your meeting, but would like to see enough to know that there's actually a system there and it wasn't all made up.

Thanked by 1 Member:

Chris347

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 24 posts
  • 1 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 09 October 2018 - 11:17 AM

I always do a basic minutes.  I just cover topics discussed, key points, and follow up / action items.

The auditor isn't going to heavily scrutinize your meeting, but would like to see enough to know that there's actually a system there and it wasn't all made up.

Thank you Jcieslowski this was helpful!

solrac

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 30 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 15 May 2019 - 04:20 PM

Is it mandatory that the highest level of authority must attend the said monthly meeting? 

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users