Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 20 posts
  • 1 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 12 February 2018 - 08:09 PM

When determining the serving size of a spice/herb mix intended to be added to a recipe what RACC do I need to use? I am unsure if I should treat this as a spice/herb and use a RACC of 1/4 tsp (0.5 g) or consider it a dry seasoning mix with with a RACC of "one RACC to make one reference amount of final dish". We are talking about very small net weights (i.e. 1.1 oz) with a mixture of spices intended to incorporate into an attached recipe (i.e. chicken entree)..

FurFarmandFork

Food Safety Consultant, Production Supervisor

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,264 posts
  • 590 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 12 February 2018 - 11:20 PM

Since you provided a recipe, and people will presumably be purchasing your spice mix for the purpose of using it in the recipe, I would use the "reference amount of final dish" category, no different than selling onion soup mix or a packet for spaghetti sauce or taco meat. People aren't going to be portioning into many random foods but using it for your recipe.

Austin Bouck
Owner/Consultant at Fur, Farm, and Fork.
Consulting for companies needing effective, lean food safety systems and solutions.

Subscribe to the blog at furfarmandfork.com for food safety research, insights, and analysis.

QARegulatoryProfessional

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 20 posts
  • 1 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 13 February 2018 - 02:38 PM

Thank you! Now let's say the RACC for my final product is 140 g but my entire package is only 32 g. Is my serving size an entire package then? My net weights are much smaller than any RACC -    

FurFarmandFork

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,264 posts
  • 590 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 13 February 2018 - 03:43 PM

How is the package consumed, does it go into a prepared meal? Generally if the contents are smaller than the racc then the serving is the entire contents. But it sounds like you may have a unique item..

I have an old article here that while it was written before the new RACC's and single serving rules went into effect, the flowchart is still basically the same. Maybe it will help you out: http://furfarmandfor...y-of-a-serving/

Austin Bouck
Consulting for companies needing effective, lean food safety systems and solutions.

Subscribe to the blog at furfarmandfork.com for food safety research, insights, and analysis.

QARegulatoryProfessional

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 20 posts
  • 1 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 13 February 2018 - 04:39 PM

How is the package consumed, does it go into a prepared meal? Generally if the contents are smaller than the racc then the serving is the entire contents. But it sounds like you may have a unique item..

I have an old article here that while it was written before the new RACC's and single serving rules went into effect, the flowchart is still basically the same. Maybe it will help you out: http://furfarmandfor...y-of-a-serving/

It is a mixture of spices and herbs meant to go into a prepared meal. For example, a packet intended to go into a prepared ziti meal and the kit comes with instructions for the meal. Difficult to figure out how much of a spice would be in an RACC for the meal since it is being blended all together. 

FurFarmandFork

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,264 posts
  • 590 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 13 February 2018 - 09:30 PM

Shoot me an email at austinbouck@furfarmandfork.com and I can give you my number. We can probably figure this out quickly over the phone.

Austin Bouck

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users