• Quick Navigation
Photo

Is it a requirement to sign every document and policy?

Share this

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

Scampi

Fellow

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 5,486 posts
  • 1511 thanks
Excellent

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 13 February 2018 - 09:38 PM

I'm new to SQF (not new to HACCP)  and the person I replaced had signatures on every policy, document etc......is that really a requirement?  Right now it looks like a make work project.....

Many thanks

Please stop referring to me as Sir/sirs

ffkmm

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 25 posts
  • 1 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 13 February 2018 - 10:23 PM

I am not sure if that specific procedure for signing every document is in writting because I have not seen one. I took over the QA position at a plant and that same rule was being followed. I changed most documents to state approved by QA supervisor with NO signature and that seen to be fine on my last SQF audit.

I think it is a waste of time to sign all documents. But for HACCP that is a different ball game.

redfox

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 481 posts
  • 163 thanks
Excellent

• Philippines
    Philippines

Posted 14 February 2018 - 03:32 AM

Hello,

IMHO, any written docs, records, procedure if not signed, it is only a piece of paper. It must be signed by the person in authority.

regards,

redfox

Thanked by 1 Member:

BrummyJim

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 329 posts
  • 117 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:Motorbike gone now. Only the dog to walk!

Posted 14 February 2018 - 09:47 AM

Hi Scampi.

The purpose of signing documents is to show that they've been read, understood and approved. You should not restrict this to policies, procedures, records and work instructions. Any paper information that you've filed (lab analysis, supplier approval docs etc.) should also be signed to show that you've read and understood them. A number of times I've received docs from suppliers that have obviously NOT been read as they show problems (mainly lab analyses showing illegal levels). I'm always more comfortable when I see a signature at the bottom.

Thanked by 1 Member:

FurFarmandFork

Food Safety Consultant, Production Supervisor

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,264 posts
  • 590 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 14 February 2018 - 04:01 PM

I separate my documents into categories:

Tier 1 - Requires signatures from SQF practitioner, VP operations, and CEO - things like the HACCP and recall plan

Tier 2- Requires signatures from SQF Practitioner and VP operations - Things like GMP's, sanitation programs, etc.

Tier 3 - Requires signatures from SQF practitioner only - things like specifications, lab procedures, micro testing SOP's.

Tier 4 - Controlled document, but requires no signature. Things like forms, checklists, etc.

Austin Bouck
Owner/Consultant at Fur, Farm, and Fork.
Consulting for companies needing effective, lean food safety systems and solutions.

Subscribe to the blog at furfarmandfork.com for food safety research, insights, and analysis.

Thanked by 4 Members:

Scampi

Fellow

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 5,486 posts
  • 1511 thanks
Excellent

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 14 February 2018 - 04:24 PM

i like your procedure Furfarmand fork, that makes great sense

Previous SQFP was having ALL documents signed by VP, and she had not taken ownership of the plan.....had the vp as the responsible person on everything , not really sure how she filled her days when she wasn't actually responsible to do any of the work

Please stop referring to me as Sir/sirs

Ryan M.

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,329 posts
  • 479 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Reading, crosswords, passionate discussions, laughing at US politics.

Posted 16 February 2018 - 04:52 PM

It depends....on:

1.  How you setup your record / document policy in relation to signatures.

2.  Your specific customer requirements (yes, some customers absolutely require wet ink signatures).

3.  Specific countries you export to (Hong Kong, Taiwan, etc).

I haven't wet ink signed a document in years....our SOP is to use Adobe PDF to "finalize and sign" all documents.  We add security to the PDF to limit things, but of course you can't limit everything.  Then again...these days all those wet ink signed documents are scanned and emailed anyhow so I really don't see the point of the wet ink signature.  We've never had a problem with our audits, but some customers have brought up "you need to wet ink sign the HACCP manual document".  When this is brought up I say "OK" let me show you something....I print out the document, sign it, scan it and email it to them.  I proceed to edit that document after it has been scanned.  Then I ask them, what is the point?  Their reactions always amuse me.

I have a scanned image of my signature that I paste onto documents I use for option 3 above.

FurFarmandFork

Food Safety Consultant, Production Supervisor

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,264 posts
  • 590 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 16 February 2018 - 09:46 PM

I say "OK" let me show you something....I print out the document, sign it, scan it and email it to them.  I proceed to edit that document after it has been scanned.  Then I ask them, what is the point? 

That's glorious. Should be a youtube video to send to auditors..

Austin Bouck
Owner/Consultant at Fur, Farm, and Fork.
Consulting for companies needing effective, lean food safety systems and solutions.

Subscribe to the blog at furfarmandfork.com for food safety research, insights, and analysis.

Thanked by 1 Member:

Miss Frankie

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 265 posts
  • 27 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 23 August 2022 - 05:00 PM

I have a signature sheet for each FSC of SQF (2 & 9) then a signature sheet that each member of our HACCP team signs. 

cjfriedman

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Associate
  • 3 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 05 May 2023 - 02:11 PM

I have a signature sheet for each FSC of SQF (2 & 9) then a signature sheet that each member of our HACCP team signs. 

you mean a roster of all the documents and then a column for signature? but the actual document doesn't have any signatures?

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users