• 167 posts
  • 112 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Food safety, QA, sharing my knowledge. Farming, growing, life

Posted 13 March 2018 - 05:30 PM

Hello, distinguished colleagues

I have not been on here in awhile but thank you for keeping a great thing going!

I have been struggling to find a metal rimmed, plastic face clock.  Any metal rim I can find is glass faced and the plastic cheap one chip when dropped just once.  Any suggestion and websites would be helpfull

Scampi

Fellow

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 5,444 posts
  • 1507 thanks
Excellent

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 13 March 2018 - 05:59 PM

Everywhere i have been wall clocks are removed...........employees stare at the clock instead of working and they do get damaged

But here you are........i googled impact resistance wall clock

https://www.officede...ll-Clock-Black/

Please stop referring to me as Sir/sirs

jcieslowski

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 196 posts
  • 61 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 13 March 2018 - 08:47 PM

Scampi,

I have found that without a wall clock employees are about 9000x more likely to pull out their cell phone to check the time.   I just make sure they're up out of the way of any traffic.  I've not had any damaged in at least a year. (I use the plastic resistant ones like you linked to)

Scampi

Fellow

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 5,444 posts
  • 1507 thanks
Excellent

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 14 March 2018 - 01:40 PM

Cellphones should be banned from the production floor. No exceptions. They cannot be controlled. They are dirty, no one cleans them, and as you pointed out, employees are going into pockets to retrieve them and probably not washing their hands before returning to work.

Everywhere I have worked, cellphone use is a 3 strikes and your out the door infraction.........if you don't allow jewelry (and I hope don't) why are you allowing phones?  Cellphone use in production areas is a pet peeve of mine. Employees are there to work and CAN be reached in case of emergencies......just like they have always been

How many germs on a cell phone?
Research has varied on just how many germs are crawling on the average cell phone, but a recent study found more than 17,000 bacterial gene copies on the phones of high school students. Scientists at the University of Arizona have found that cell phones carry 10 times more bacteria than most toilet seats.Aug 23, 2017

Please stop referring to me as Sir/sirs

jcieslowski

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 196 posts
  • 61 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 14 March 2018 - 02:36 PM

Absolutely they are banned in production but we don't search pockets to ensure people don't bring them.  You might think that you can use a 3 strikes and your out system to convince people not to use cell phones but we have had no luck with that - we will literally just turn through employees.

Maybe it's different in your industry or location but here we're talking minimum wage jobs with a pretty decent job market for unskilled workers.  I've literally had 6 people walk out in a day and get jobs somewhere else the next day.  Honestly put, many of my employees wouldn't care to lose their job.  (we could have a long discussion about how the company festers this attitude with working expectations, wages, and benefits, but that's a story for another day)

redfox

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 481 posts
  • 163 thanks
Excellent

• Philippines
    Philippines

Posted 15 March 2018 - 01:27 AM

Hello,

We use digital clock required by auditors in our pasteurizing area made of plastic. It is included on our glass/brittle plastic monitoring. But inside our sorting/production area no clock is found. Our supervisor will announce if it is time for a beak time.

regards,

redfox

SQFconsultant

SQFconsultant

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 4,632 posts
  • 1135 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Just when I thought I was out - They pulled me back in!!!

Posted 15 March 2018 - 01:38 AM

I like the beam clock that I recently saw.

They projected the time from the 2nd floor office to four locations in the building and you just see the image of a digital clock on the wall. 

Really cool.

All the Best,

All Rights Reserved,

Without Prejudice,

Glenn Oster.

Glenn Oster Consulting, LLC -

SQF System Development | Internal Auditor Training | eConsultant

Martha's Vineyard Island, MA - Restored Republic

http://www.GCEMVI.XYZ

http://www.GlennOster.com

Jim E.

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 167 posts
  • 25 thanks
Good

• Canada
    Canada
  • Interests:Sports of course.
    Food safety for all things eaten not just what we make.
    Being able to see my kids grow up in healthy environment.

Posted 16 March 2018 - 03:05 PM

Yes we have the same issue.  The clocks are cheap, but we have them situated well away from the production line to prevent any breakage from falling unto the line.  Also we monitor them monthly during our glass and brittle plastic inspection, if even cracked they are removed and a new clock ordered.

Nikki R

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 59 posts
  • 51 thanks
Neutral

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:Painting, Spending time with my little men, Food Fraud and writing childrens books

Posted 22 March 2018 - 09:07 AM

We use plastic wall clocks which are hung high, almost ceiling level. These are included on the glass and brittle plastic register so are checked regularly. A lot of our work involves timing etc so they are necessary. I have worked here almost 18 years and we have never had a broken clock. 

As for mobile phones there is a complete ban. If dropped they could be a foreign body risk if they break. Also there is the micro risk, how many people surf the internet or play games on the toilet then wash their hands but not the phone! Mobile phones have no place in the production areas. 

jcieslowski

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 196 posts
  • 61 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 22 March 2018 - 09:12 PM

To be clear, we also have a phone ban in the production room.  My claim was that I don't know if the ban would be effective if we didn't have a clock in the room.

In my mind, the phone is by far the greater risk than the clock, so I'll take the risks of the clock (with it on the register and out of traffic lanes) to not risk the risk of the phone.

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users