• 29 posts
  • 1 thanks
Neutral

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 19 March 2018 - 09:04 AM

Good morning everyone,

a customer has asked if we are able to smoke in house prawns and crevetes, 

Now we have 2 different smoking systems on site but we have never even considered prawns before as it was never viable for us.

Q: What is the general process for smoking prawns? 

Q: Do they use cooked / defrosted prawns then smoke? 

Q: Do they use raw prawns and hot smoke / cook? 

Q: Do they use brine's? or just lightly salt? 

What are the general Food safety concerns for smoking prawns / crevetes

What would the key quality aspects to control be?

What we have tried so far: We have tried using some generic RAW prawns- wet brine for 20 minutes, allowed to dry to form pilacle - smoked for for a number of hours and hot roasted - quality with various times etc was poor compared to what has been sampled on markets.

We have also tried using cooked ready to eat IQF prawns, defrosted and smoked and repacked--- which tastes great but im worried there is an issue with modifying a cooked RTE product.....

Any advice or tips welcome regarding this.............

Quality Ben

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 85 posts
  • 16 thanks
Neutral

• Australia
    Australia
  • Interests:Food Safety, Quality, Laboratory, Technical Issues, Water Activity and Migration, VITAL, Allergens, Fresh Produce, Post Harvest, Cold Smoked Fish, Non Pasteurised Caviar, Cook/Chill, Listeria Hunting & Eradication/Environmental monitoring programs, Small-Goods, HACCP, Continuous Improvement, Problem Solving, Risk Mitigation, Listeria.spp., High Risk, Chemistry, Cleaning and Sanitation, Biosecurity, Consultancy, Training, Process Control

Food Safety = Science + Culture

Posted 25 March 2018 - 02:22 AM

Hi DRFSM - couple of considerations IMO....

• What are the other products you are smoking? Allergen concerns between prawns and your other products etc?
  • Peeled or shell on? Shell on would help moisture retention and you should still get good phenol uptake.
  • I don't see any particular concern with modifying the RTE product but I would be cautious in my choice of approved supplier and the controls you put in place to ensure your not making bad worse! ie: C.bot or other that cannot be killed by normal cook (equiv process re: 70c for 2min).
  • I would assume brine as dry salt would be a bit difficult (if shell on) - unless packed / bedded.?

DRFSM

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 29 posts
  • 1 thanks
Neutral

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 03 April 2018 - 07:26 AM

Hi DRFSM - couple of considerations IMO....

• What are the other products you are smoking? Allergen concerns between prawns and your other products etc?
  • Peeled or shell on? Shell on would help moisture retention and you should still get good phenol uptake.
  • I don't see any particular concern with modifying the RTE product but I would be cautious in my choice of approved supplier and the controls you put in place to ensure your not making bad worse! ie: C.bot or other that cannot be killed by normal cook (equiv process re: 70c for 2min).
  • I would assume brine as dry salt would be a bit difficult (if shell on) - unless packed / bedded.?

We smoke fish on site, however due to physical contamination risks and allergens such as fish, it is proposed due to volumes to be in its own dedicated smoker house which will be housed with refrigeration units for storing products from intake through to finished product in its own area.

The type of prawn is shell off as far as im aware. the prawn comes in as IQF RTE (non vac packed) with instructions to simply defrost over 4 hrs. 

I have seen some american DIY smoking forums that dont went brine at all and just apply smoke as the prawn inherently already contains enough moisture and salt but of course from a production perspective i need to be more scientific so im considering: dedicated wet brines for short  periods of time depending on strength  (to be validated)  to determine final process. the product will then be smoked and packed aerobically in grease proof paper in a cardboard box.

i recognise that strict supplier approval and raw material monitoring will be required for this type of product due to the nature of raw material being used. such as frequent RTE testing before use i.e at receipt and after our process..

only thing i can see currently ( at this theory stage) is mostly the shelf life after smoking process which is chilled. and how GMP will effect it again would need to be validated to ensure product is safe.

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users