noahchris97

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 59 posts
  • 5 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Classic/ Vintage coin-op restorer of pinballs & juke boxes.
    Model ship builder.

Posted 03 May 2018 - 07:36 PM

Afternoon All,

Quick question on Nitrogen. We use it as a processing aid. Is it required to have a statement on the product bag on/about nitrogen being used? If so would it be listed in the ingredient section? Or have its own section of the bag alerting customers that the product has been packed with nitrogen for freshness, extended shelf life & etc. Is there a specific protocol/requirement for Nitrogen. 

We package organic powders, seeds, berries, smoothies, blends from around the world and package them. Thanks...   

Scampi

Fellow

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 5,498 posts
  • 1514 thanks
Excellent

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 03 May 2018 - 08:34 PM

www.ams.usda.gov/sites/default/files/media/NOP%20Final%20Rec%20Inert%20Atmospheric%20Gases.pdf

I'm thinking, that since nitrogen is naturally occurring in the air we breathe  (i'm also processing organic here), and the above link states that its not actually a processing air OR an ingredient (i beg to differ)

HOWEVER, i have never seen a MAP packaged anything that lists the gasses used during packaging. So i'm going with NO you don't need to label 

Please stop referring to me as Sir/sirs

Thanked by 1 Member:

Umar Khan

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 1 posts
  • 1 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 03 May 2018 - 08:35 PM

Good Afternoon,

Processing aids aren't required to be listed on the label, but some trace amount of material may remain the product. In any case, a processing aid is required to be "generally regarded as safe" and nitrogen is a "GRAS" ingredient. 

Source - 21CFR184.1540

Thanked by 1 Member:

Kryovess

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 1 posts
  • 1 thanks
Neutral

• India
    India

Posted 04 May 2018 - 04:48 AM

Processing aids are substances or additives of natural or synthetic origin used in the production of foods. Nitrogen gas used as a processing aid in a barbecue sauce plant.

Thanked by 1 Member:

Gerard H.

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 411 posts
  • 131 thanks
Excellent

• France
    France

Posted 04 May 2018 - 07:29 AM

Dear Noah Chris,

If the Nitrogen is used to extend the shelf life, then it isn't considered as a processing aid anymore. That's because it still has a function in your finished product: extension of the shelf life.

It's a case of Modified Atmosphere Packaging (MAP) and normally there is specific labeling legislation in your country.

Kind regards,

Gerard Heerkens

Thanked by 1 Member:

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users