Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 36 posts
  • 3 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 09 May 2018 - 05:57 PM

Bit of background. I just went through training and am now the PCQI for the small brewing company I work for.  It's a small and young company and most employees have been here for ages.  When I started there was very little structure to the food safety system, short of the steps taken to ensure that our raw cultures weren't compromised.

In my past year, I've revamped the system and now our facility is in great shape! Up until now, I met very little resistance along the way.

Now that I've been asked to get us in full compliance with FSMA, I've been evaluating other aspects we may have been overlooking. One big thing is 'uniform.'

For the most part, people just wear their regular day-to-day clothes. This hasn't posed a big problem, but now summer is sneaking into the scene.  I have a few newer employees that want to wear sleeveless tops and tank tops to work.  When I tell them that we deal with hot materials and work with chemicals, I get 'that's bullshit' and 'short sleeves don't give any more protection than none.' Today I even got 'if I put hairnets on my armpit hair can I wear a tank top?'

Can anyone point me to some documentation on uniform guidelines for food processing and packaging facilities or, even better, breweries?  I feel like my argument isn't very strong, but I feel it is justified. I just know I have other changes to make for uniform requirements and I don't want to meet resistance the whole way through.

Scampi

Fellow

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 5,444 posts
  • 1507 thanks
Excellent

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 09 May 2018 - 06:08 PM

NO TANK TOPS!!!!!!!  Long facial hair should be contained in a beard snood.........same goes for armpit hair---hence no tanks. 

The idea is that the armpit hair pulls the sweat away from the body, aiding in ventilation, according to esthetician Marta Camkiran. “It reduces friction between the upper and lower arm during vigorous labor or motion,” Camkiran told GoodHousekeeping.com Additionally, this moves bacteria away from the skin, so it can’t stick around and get comfortable. 

So that means any bacteria that were on the skin are now consolidated on the hair----that fell in. GROSS  (but i'm biased.....i don't think they should be worn by males unless your cutting grass or working in construction type work) 

Let them wear beard snoods on their armpits!!!!!!  

Tell them this if 1 person complains because they found a hair in their beer, there are 100 more who would never say anything and never buy your product again and tell 100 people, who tell 100 people and so on

Generally speaking, arms are ok because most people are not very hairy and arms are easily washed, even to the elbow, entering production. No one is going to stand at the sink and wash the armpit. So basically it's because a) the hair is longer and therefore more obvious and b) because no one is going to wash their armpits upon entering even though they should

Good Luck---with this attitude they won't be in business long

Please stop referring to me as Sir/sirs

Thanked by 2 Members:

Eryn

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 36 posts
  • 3 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 09 May 2018 - 06:23 PM

THANK YOU SCAMPI!!! This helps so so much! That alone is a good argument.

They are going to listen to the rules I set either way, but if I can stop the debate it makes my life easier =)

Nobody is happy I'm enforcing beard snoods either, but they understand. That one is harder for them to debate me about.

Scampi

Fellow

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 5,444 posts
  • 1507 thanks
Excellent

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 09 May 2018 - 06:35 PM

and on the beard snoods...my policy has always been clean shaven or wear one.....that way everyone understands

If you really want to help them understand, try and schedule a tour at one of the big breweries that doesn't see you as competition, then they can see what the gold standard looks like!  Cold call and ask to speak to the QA manager...they can appreciate where your coming from and might be able to get you in the door

We are small too and pickle veggies in an non air conditioned environment so I completely understand where you're coming from

Please stop referring to me as Sir/sirs

redfox

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 481 posts
  • 163 thanks
Excellent

• Philippines
    Philippines

Posted 11 May 2018 - 05:15 AM

Hello,

It is about awareness of food safety issue and could be related to food safety culture in your company. It is very common that old dogs really find difficult to adapt new tricks. There is always resistance when there is some changes made in process, uniform, etc.

In our company, Food Safety Policy must be followed. No exemption. Even the owner follows the rule. 

If he (employee) won't follow our FS policy, he is not fitted to work with the company. No argument, let him go.

regards,

redfox

Thanked by 1 Member:

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users