Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 66 posts
  • 2 thanks
Neutral

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 14 May 2018 - 12:03 PM

Hello, we have two vending machines on our plant they are located in the cafeteria, we have some signs in cafeteria to let workers know they are not allowed to bring food or drinks to production area, i wanted to ask you guys how to handle the provider that comes to refill the vending machine, this service provider is now using the workers regular entrance. do i need to change this and make him refill the machine thru front office and do not let him be in production area? do i need to make any kind of document everytime he come to refill or how is this handled? 

Thank you! Happy monday!

SausageGuy

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 65 posts
  • 10 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Washington Capitals Hockey (2018 Stanley Cup Champions), music, spending time with family

Posted 14 May 2018 - 12:11 PM

IMO, I would do a hazard analysis. I would assume all of the food he is bringing in to refill the vending machines is in sealed individual packages that are packed in boxes so I don't see much of an issue with it.

Thanked by 1 Member:

Wian

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 22 posts
  • 6 thanks
Neutral

• South Africa
    South Africa

Posted 14 May 2018 - 12:53 PM

If he is going to be walking through the production area to get to the cafeteria you probably should give him basic food safety / induction training and include what route he should follow and maybe provide PPE/C if needed after you did the risk assessment.  You do not need to give this training every time he delivers, maybe once or twice a year.  Visitors/contractors are also not usually allowed to walk around on site if not accompanied by an employee, as this raises other food safety and security issues.

Depending on what the allergen status of your facility is, you might want to stipulate what products are to be supplied in the vending machine.

Thanked by 1 Member:

SQFconsultant

SQFconsultant

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 4,629 posts
  • 1135 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Just when I thought I was out - They pulled me back in!!!

Posted 14 May 2018 - 01:09 PM

Make the vending machine company and all refilling personnel contract service provider, assuming you have a program like this.

Also, the refiller should be coming in the front door, check in as a contractor, sign in etc.

All the Best,

All Rights Reserved,

Without Prejudice,

Glenn Oster.

Glenn Oster Consulting, LLC -

SQF System Development | Internal Auditor Training | eConsultant

Martha's Vineyard Island, MA - Restored Republic

http://www.GCEMVI.XYZ

http://www.GlennOster.com

Thanked by 1 Member:

Jean Carmona

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 66 posts
  • 2 thanks
Neutral

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 14 May 2018 - 01:25 PM

If he is going to be walking through the production area to get to the cafeteria you probably should give him basic food safety / induction training and include what route he should follow and maybe provide PPE/C if needed after you did the risk assessment.  You do not need to give this training every time he delivers, maybe once or twice a year.  Visitors/contractors are also not usually allowed to walk around on site if not accompanied by an employee, as this raises other food safety and security issues.

Depending on what the allergen status of your facility is, you might want to stipulate what products are to be supplied in the vending machine.

We make absorbent pads for meat, fish and poultry. We don't handle food and we don't have at this point any allergen risk. If i make him refill the vending machine getting in thru the administrative building to get to cafeteria and do not access to production area would i skip these things to do?

Thanked by 1 Member:

Scampi

Fellow

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 5,444 posts
  • 1507 thanks
Excellent

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 14 May 2018 - 01:25 PM

i second SQF consultant. Also from another angle, if the supplier doesn't go through the office, and there's an evacuation.......you might not know he/she's there.......

Allergens,cleanliness etc etc etc are all reasons the vendor should not be going through production.......open product or not

Please stop referring to me as Sir/sirs

Thanked by 1 Member:

Jean Carmona

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 66 posts
  • 2 thanks
Neutral

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 14 May 2018 - 01:27 PM

Make the vending machine company and all refilling personnel contract service provider, assuming you have a program like this.

Also, the refiller should be coming in the front door, check in as a contractor, sign in etc.

as this is not a mandatory im trying to avoid that program, if i make him coming thru front door and not stepping into production area would i skip these steps? thank you!

Scampi

Fellow

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 5,444 posts
  • 1507 thanks
Excellent

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 14 May 2018 - 02:59 PM

Your place of business should still have a visitors log, even if you don't implement service providers section. The visitor log tracks in/outs, just like signing in to any office these days, there is an insurance liability to think about as well

Thanked by 1 Member:

Jean Carmona

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 66 posts
  • 2 thanks
Neutral

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 14 May 2018 - 04:05 PM

Your place of business should still have a visitors log, even if you don't implement service providers section. The visitor log tracks in/outs, just like signing in to any office these days, there is an insurance liability to think about as well

This is not a problem however a visitor log is simple what im trying to avoid is creating a program for services providers, provide a training for them to avoid extra work.

question is if i make this person to refill the machine coming in thru front door. Will i be able to skip what described above?

Scampi

Fellow

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 5,444 posts
  • 1507 thanks
Excellent

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 14 May 2018 - 05:23 PM

Yes, if person is never ever leaving common areas

Share this