• IFSQN Active
  • 15 posts
  • 1 thanks
Neutral

• Vietnam
    Vietnam

Posted 29 May 2018 - 02:22 AM

Hi all,

I am setting up the "Food Safety and Hygiene" day to audit food court and all area in cinema by BOD. In this day, BOD including CEO, CFO, COO and top management go to cinema and perform Food Safety and Hygiene checking. 

But I have a difficulties in building audit checklist. As my boss request, just make a simple checklist to easy be understand and audit by BOD. It's very hard for me. Now, I just use yes/ no question in my checklist for BOD. Simple checklist can not show the food safety importance and BOD can not see the importance of Food Safety Management. But detailed checklist, they can not easy to understand to do.

Anyone have experience, please give me advice.

And I have a question? In fact, perform audit by BOD is effective or not? I know the purpose of my boss. He just want to raise the importance of Food Safety to BOD. But, if simple, BOD can not understand exactly the importance.

Thank you 

redfox

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 481 posts
  • 163 thanks
Excellent

• Philippines
    Philippines

Posted 29 May 2018 - 06:20 AM

Hello,

Dilemma of Food Safety Officers. No support from senior management. Need time to let them understand the importance of food safety.

regards,

redfox

Thanked by 1 Member:

Francis_Tho

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 15 posts
  • 1 thanks
Neutral

• Vietnam
    Vietnam

Posted 29 May 2018 - 07:13 AM

Hello,

Dilemma of Food Safety Officers. No support from senior management. Need time to let them understand the importance of food safety.

regards,

redfox

How can I build Food Safety and Hygiene checklist for BOD to easy to check? 

Gerard H.

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 411 posts
  • 131 thanks
Excellent

• France
    France

Posted 29 May 2018 - 08:00 AM

Dear Francis,

In this case I would firstly focus on the visual aspects of Food Safety & Hygiene. That makes it easier to build your checklist, to carry out the audit and to discuss it afterwards. Here are a few topics you can use as input. I hope that it gives you ideas to expand the list:

• People are wearing their protective clothing
  • They are wearing it correctly
  • People wash their hands properly before entering in the production area
  • Doors are closed
  • The department is tidy
  • The roofs are free of dust and foreign body risks
  • No product on the floor
  • Chemicals are stored properly
  • Cleaning tools are marked correctly
  • The production lines are clean
  • Machine protective plates are intact and clean
  • Lights are functioning well
  • Tools and utensils are clean
  • Recording of process parameters is done correctly and on time
  • Raw materials and packaging are stored adequately

It will be an interesting day and it's very good to create senior management commitment!

Kind regards,

Gerard Heerkens

Thanked by 1 Member:

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5665 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 29 May 2018 - 09:59 AM

BOD = Biological Oxygen Demand ?

I guess not. :uhm:

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

redfox

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 481 posts
  • 163 thanks
Excellent

• Philippines
    Philippines

Posted 29 May 2018 - 12:26 PM

Hello Charles,

I assumed Board of Directors....

regards,

redfox

Thanked by 1 Member:

Scampi

Fellow

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 5,490 posts
  • 1511 thanks
Excellent

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 29 May 2018 - 12:56 PM

I would put a checklist of your largest areas of concern together, then put bullet points of why that item is important

Question 1

Are employees following handwashing procedures?

e.g. food handlers can pass on bacteria such as e coli when hands are not washed properly when using the washroom

If you line it up like that, senior management can get a short crash course on the importance of each item

Please stop referring to me as Sir/sirs

Thanked by 1 Member:

Quality Is the Goal

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 59 posts
  • 57 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 29 May 2018 - 01:00 PM

Hi all,

I am setting up the "Food Safety and Hygiene" day to audit food court and all area in cinema by BOD. In this day, BOD including CEO, CFO, COO and top management go to cinema and perform Food Safety and Hygiene checking. 

But I have a difficulties in building audit checklist. As my boss request, just make a simple checklist to easy be understand and audit by BOD. It's very hard for me. Now, I just use yes/ no question in my checklist for BOD. Simple checklist can not show the food safety importance and BOD can not see the importance of Food Safety Management. But detailed checklist, they can not easy to understand to do.

Anyone have experience, please give me advice.

And I have a question? In fact, perform audit by BOD is effective or not? I know the purpose of my boss. He just want to raise the importance of Food Safety to BOD. But, if simple, BOD can not understand exactly the importance.

Thank you 

Hello Francis_Tho,

I attached an example of the GMP Inspection, it might be helpful, You can divide the inspection for couple different categories (kitchen, receiving, restrooms, employees, etc). If You want to know if the inspection is effective then create a point (scoring) system, in this way You will know what areas need improvement.  If You have any questions about the checklist please let me know.

Attached Files

Thanked by 3 Members:

Francis_Tho

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 15 posts
  • 1 thanks
Neutral

• Vietnam
    Vietnam

Posted 29 May 2018 - 01:13 PM

Hello

Actually, I already finished Checklist for this day, just simple visual checking for our BOD. Besides, I'm making the guideline to guide auditee how to support and interact with auditor for smooth checking. This Food Safety and Hygiene day firstly perform interaction between auditors and cinema to together understand importance of Food Safety and Hygiene.

I hope everything is gonna be fine for the 1st pilot  :happydance:  :happydance:  :happydance:  :happydance:

God bless me 

Thank you, all 

Thanked by 1 Member:

Francis_Tho

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 15 posts
  • 1 thanks
Neutral

• Vietnam
    Vietnam

Posted 29 May 2018 - 01:19 PM

Attached File  checklist.jpg   377.7KB   2 downloadsI attached my checklist in my previous answer. Anyone can see it? 

Scampi

Fellow

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 5,490 posts
  • 1511 thanks
Excellent

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 29 May 2018 - 01:28 PM

I think your check list looks good

BTW, how often does the ice machine get a deep clean?  Known to harbour all sorts of nasty bacteria

Please stop referring to me as Sir/sirs

Francis_Tho

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 15 posts
  • 1 thanks
Neutral

• Vietnam
    Vietnam

Posted 29 May 2018 - 01:37 PM

I think your check list looks good

BTW, how often does the ice machine get a deep clean?  Known to harbour all sorts of nasty bacteria

But my concern is that BOD can not check deeply what I mentioned, just visual, evidences checking and interview auditee also. For Safety part, it's very hard for BOD checking and detecting risk, because it's related to technical inspection.

BTW, the ice machine diving 2 part: machinery part and ice cabinet with different cleaning frequency: 2 weeks for machinery part, and twice a week for cabinet. We had ice cleaning verification every 6 months.

beautiophile

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 254 posts
  • 82 thanks
Excellent

• Vietnam
    Vietnam

Posted 30 May 2018 - 01:11 AM

Hi,

I think your plan might be quite suspicious. BOD's jobs are to make policies, directions and overall instructions. It's only necessary that they are aware and interpret the Food Safety & Hygiene not involve to daily tasks. BOD should assign and know who can do the inspections and that they get informed whether the situation is under control or not. 

But my concern is that BOD can not check deeply what I mentioned, just visual, evidences checking and interview auditee also. For Safety part, it's very hard for BOD checking and detecting risk, because it's related to technical inspection.

BTW, the ice machine diving 2 part: machinery part and ice cabinet with different cleaning frequency: 2 weeks for machinery part, and twice a week for cabinet. We had ice cleaning verification every 6 months.

Francis_Tho

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 15 posts
  • 1 thanks
Neutral

• Vietnam
    Vietnam

Posted 30 May 2018 - 04:16 AM

Hi,

I think your plan might be quite suspicious. BOD's jobs are to make policies, directions and overall instructions. It's only necessary that they are aware and interpret the Food Safety & Hygiene not involve to daily tasks. BOD should assign and know who can do the inspections and that they get informed whether the situation is under control or not. 

This is a request of one of BOD, because they he want to raise the importance of Food Safety in Food chain. In my opinion, I also think it is not effectiveness because this is a technical things, and BOD can not understand deeply all actual activities to manage Food Safety at each store. But luckily, they want to take care a little bit and interact with duty managers, staffs to go together about Food Safety Management. From now, we have more than 50 store in Vietnam, if we don't have serious BOD support or commitment, it's very hard to make strong awareness for Duty managers about Food Safety, it's just the superficial management.

So that the reason why I want to fully support in Food Safety and Hygiene day for BOD to smoothly check, easy to understand and communicate to auditee. But, I have not enough experience to build checklist for BOD. I need help or ideas how to build checklist for BOD to easier to approach. If I can do that, BOD supports/ care is very helpful for Food Safety Management.

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5665 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
    TV
    Movies

Posted 30 May 2018 - 05:55 AM

Hi Francis,

I thought yr overall list quite realistic if BOD are only interested in an overview of GMP.

You might consider comparing yr content to some standard like CFR 110 in case someone asks you for a source reference.

3 comments -

I have never seen more than 8degC referred as a  max chilled temp in a "household" refrigerator ?. Similarly such units IMEX are not expected to provide as cold as  -18degC afaik ? Maybe Vietnam (and/or cinema) refrigerator is special though. :smile:

You might add (but maybe it's overkill/risky) no chemicals (or, depending on yr setup, perhaps no "unauthorized" chemicals) in view.

PS - "exit clearly marked" should presumably be "exits ...." or perhaps "exits / emergency exits......" (if some exits are not emergency exits)

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

Francis_Tho

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 15 posts
  • 1 thanks
Neutral

• Vietnam
    Vietnam

Posted 31 May 2018 - 02:54 AM

Hello Francis_Tho,

I attached an example of the GMP Inspection, it might be helpful, You can divide the inspection for couple different categories (kitchen, receiving, restrooms, employees, etc). If You want to know if the inspection is effective then create a point (scoring) system, in this way You will know what areas need improvement.  If You have any questions about the checklist please let me know.

Hi Quality ^^

Thank you for sharing me example of GMP checklist. It makes me have new ideas to improve my checklist and analysis result after checking ^^. It's clear to maintain and improve Food Safety situation. After I done, I will share with you ^^ 

Hi Francis,

I thought yr overall list quite realistic if BOD are only interested in an overview of GMP.

You might consider comparing yr content to some standard like CFR 110 in case someone asks you for a source reference.

3 comments -

I have never seen more than 8degC referred as a  max chilled temp in a "household" refrigerator ?. Similarly such units IMEX are not expected to provide as cold as  -18degC afaik ? Maybe Vietnam (and/or cinema) refrigerator is special though. :smile:

You might add (but maybe it's overkill/risky) no chemicals (or, depending on yr setup, perhaps no "unauthorized" chemicals) in view.

PS - "exit clearly marked" should presumably be "exits ...." or perhaps "exits / emergency exits......" (if some exits are not emergency exits)

Hi Charles 

Thank you for your comment. 

About chilled temp, 0 - 10 degC for chilling the bottled products purpose for customers, I will add on information to keep ingredient/ materials in refrigerator from 2 - 4 degC. -18degC for frozen product in the freezers. 

My checklist is referred from CAC/RCP 1-1969, Rev. 4-20031, I make a question in checklist to easier understand for BOD.

Thank you for sharing me more reference source. 

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5665 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
    TV
    Movies

Posted 31 May 2018 - 04:19 AM

Hi Francis,

Yr suggested temperatures are fine if yr viewable monitoring data supports them. Unfortunately many small-scale commercial units may not  comply.

JFI I attach 21cfr part 110 -

Attached File  CFR-2011-title21-vol2-part110.pdf   179.04KB   66 downloads

PS - the Codex volume you referenced has been "expanded" in 2009 however the hygiene section is probably still the same as in yr reference.

Attached File  Codex food hygiene 2009 4th ed.PDF   632.54KB   65 downloads

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

Thanked by 2 Members:

Francis_Tho

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 15 posts
  • 1 thanks
Neutral

• Vietnam
    Vietnam

Posted 09 August 2018 - 09:23 AM

Hello all

Thank you for all to give me advice and support some document for my reference to build the checklist. So I just want to share the initial result.

I'm happy to share to you about the 1st Safety and Hygiene day with my BOD. Today, all BOD including the CEO, CFO, COO and top management go to store and conduct inspection about Food Safety and Hygiene, and Environment safe under the technical person's support and guidance in the 1st time. They strictly check not only visual looking around but also detail requirements. Surprisingly, some standard they don't clearly understand, they come back to the us and ask us to explanation for conducting full inspection ^^. 

After checking, they know more about operation and our CEO shared the company message to encourage everybody to take care about Service quality and Safety for not only our staffs but also customers.

I'm really happy for our achievement today for few months to build checklist and guideline for BOD even this is just the beginning. 

I'm planing to collect the data for this Safety and Hygiene result and combine maintained result, internal audit in order to see relationship and effectiveness for BOD commitment. I want to draw to big picture with serious strategy for next year with BOD awareness. 

Hope to receive advice and sharing from experienced people on forum

Big thanks and Love ^^

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users