Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 15 posts
  • 1 thanks
Neutral

• Costa Rica
    Costa Rica

Posted 20 July 2018 - 12:34 AM

I would like your help with a situation. We were having some issue with the food contact surface swabs post sanitation, since we were getting high count (APC).

After looking for the cause, we tested the sanitizer itself and turns out it was contaminated (APC >1000 CFU/ml) at the point of use. We were using Quats from a local manufacturer. 

I've seen some recalls of contaminated sanitizers/desinfectants used for hospitals over the past few years. But not a lot of info for the sanitizer used in the food industry (or at least I haven't found it yet). 

Have anyone gone through a situation like this? Are quats more suceptible than other sanitizers (for example peracetic acid)?

We already change the product. But I'm curious about it... 

I would apreciated your thoughs

Scampi

Fellow

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 5,444 posts
  • 1507 thanks
Excellent

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 20 July 2018 - 01:20 PM

Bring that quats are very similar to "soap" in the chemistry, one can assume that this sort of contamination is not that far fetched. I would think that perhaps it became contaminated at your location from people putting unclean hands/tools into the container repeatedly

The chemicals are obviously not aseptic once opened.

alcohols have poor activity against bacterial spores (one ingredient in a quat)

So perhaps you need to surprise the sanitation crew one night to figure out the source of the contamination; Did the supplier test anyother containers from the same lot?

Please stop referring to me as Sir/sirs

Heffer03

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 15 posts
  • 1 thanks
Neutral

• Costa Rica
    Costa Rica

Posted 20 July 2018 - 03:35 PM

Hi Scampi, 

I don't think so, only a couple of test were performed. But during the following investigation, we'll ask to test other containers from the same lot.

Thanks, 

Bring that quats are very similar to "soap" in the chemistry, one can assume that this sort of contamination is not that far fetched. I would think that perhaps it became contaminated at your location from people putting unclean hands/tools into the container repeatedly

The chemicals are obviously not aseptic once opened.

alcohols have poor activity against bacterial spores (one ingredient in a quat)

So perhaps you need to surprise the sanitation crew one night to figure out the source of the contamination; Did the supplier test anyother containers from the same lot?

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 227 posts
  • 69 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:Validation, basketball, chocolatier

Posted 24 July 2018 - 09:46 AM

Is this being dispensed by a machine as well? Have you check as well the dispenser?

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users