Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 1 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 03 August 2018 - 04:14 PM

I am in the process of clarifying some of our GMPs and am looking for feedback on other processing facilities practices. Currently, hair nets and beard nets are required at all times during production, but on down days (typically Friday-Sunday) all GMPs are thrown out the window. Maintenance, management, office personnel, contractors, cleaning crew etc don't have to follow most GMPs in the processing area because "this is how it's always been". There is obviously no product running or exposed packaging at this time, but equipment is still exposed. How is this handled at your facility?

Thanks!

Watanka

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 109 posts
  • 50 thanks
Good

• United States
    United States

Posted 03 August 2018 - 05:33 PM

jfarnham

Our GMP's are in effect 24/7/365, including hair and bear nets, jewelry prohibitions, clothing requirements, safety glasses and so on.  We have patiently moved the quality culture of the company to embrace food safety and quality to this extent.  We believe this policy gives us a competitive edge and serves to reinforce the seriousness and necessity of the quality program.

Maintenance works with equipment including some food contact surfaces, storage areas and other p;laces where food will be there during the day.  Same with contractors.  Cleaning crew has to remove all dirt and debris including hair, so why would they want to add to the work they perform, or have other employees or visitors do so?  Administrative, office and especially management personnel must set a proper example for others to follow.

Non-conformances and contamination can occur just as easily off production hours as it does when the gears are turning.

Thanked by 1 Member:

mgourley

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,403 posts
  • 997 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Cooking, golf, firearms, food safety and sanitation.

Posted 03 August 2018 - 07:23 PM

"This is how it's always been" is a dangerous sign of a bad Food Safety Management System.

GMP's should be followed at all times. You are legally bound to follow them in accordance with the Preventive Controls for Human Food rule.

Marshall

Thanked by 1 Member:

SQFconsultant

SQFconsultant

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 4,632 posts
  • 1135 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Just when I thought I was out - They pulled me back in!!!

Posted 03 August 2018 - 08:47 PM

It is not "while in production."

It is at all times in production area.

All the Best,

All Rights Reserved,

Without Prejudice,

Glenn Oster.

Glenn Oster Consulting, LLC -

SQF System Development | Internal Auditor Training | eConsultant

Martha's Vineyard Island, MA - Restored Republic

http://www.GCEMVI.XYZ

http://www.GlennOster.com

Thanked by 1 Member:

chrcia

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 61 posts
  • 15 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 04 August 2018 - 11:40 AM

Our GMP's are in effect at all times, my feeling is when you enter a food production facility all GMP's are to be followed. In most cases there usually is no down time but even if there is there is machinery and food contact surfaces through out the facility. If CGMP's are allowed not to be followed during quote downtime then that feeling will be carried over to actual production time. Just as an example I had a contractor who refused to follow CGMP's and I had them removed from the facility and replaced by another contractor. The one thing that I find helpful is I send a copy of our CGMP's to the Owners/Presidents of the companies and ask them to read the policies and sign and to share them with their teams so that when they arrive at the facility the expectation/requirement is understood.

Regards
Chris

Thanked by 1 Member:

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 227 posts
  • 69 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:Validation, basketball, chocolatier

Posted 06 August 2018 - 12:53 AM

jfarnham.

Once you enter GMP areas, regardless of time (with or without production), GMPs are applied. Note as well, in many cases that big issues usually happened after no production periods. What is also drive is the culture.

Thanked by 1 Member:

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users